Order switching/multi-effects wiring Q

Started by mdcmdcmdc, March 30, 2021, 03:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdcmdcmdc

Hello hivemind I have a question...

I'd like to put two effects (fuzz+boost) in a single enclosure with the following functionality:

1 footswitch to bypass the entire enclosure (both fuzz and boost)
1 footswitch to toggle the boost on/off
1 switch to move the boost pre or post fuzz

The boost doesn't work independent of the fuzz; the fuzz is always on if the unit is engaged, the boost can be switched in or out once the entire unit is on, the boost on/off is independent of the entire unit's on/off.

I've found wiring schematics for both order switching and for a two effect arrangement like I've described; but I haven't seem one that combines both. Before I started to try and hack something together myself I was hoping someone might've solved this already and would have a handy link to a wiring diagram.

Thanks in advance!

Mark Hammer

The wiring diagram you've likely found for order switching will show a master in and master out.  That will go to your entire-bypass switch, that will, in turn, either connect the in and out jacks for the enclosure, OR route things to the order-flipper switch.  The order-flipper switch will, in turn, do most of the hard-lifting for you.

Does that make sense?

I generally use a 3PDT toggle for order flipping, largely because I can't imagine order-flipping mid-song (so no footswitch needed) and because the handle-position on a toggle shows me what comes first, without requiring an LED.

antonis

Quote from: mdcmdcmdc on March 30, 2021, 03:54:47 PM
the boost on/off is independent of the entire unit's on/off.

Can't see any reason for that..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

mdcmdcmdc

Quote from: antonis on March 30, 2021, 04:53:16 PM
Quote from: mdcmdcmdc on March 30, 2021, 03:54:47 PM
the boost on/off is independent of the entire unit's on/off.

Can't see any reason for that..

Having the bypass set like this allows me to go from clean to boosted fuzz.
Fuzz and boost on separate on/offs would mean hitting two footswitches at once to make that happen, or leaving the boost on all the time, or leaving the fuzz on all the time.
Essentially I want two pedals in an effects loop—one of them I'm leaving on all the time—plus the option of switching the order easily.

mdcmdcmdc

Quote from: Mark Hammer on March 30, 2021, 04:51:41 PM
The wiring diagram you've likely found for order switching will show a master in and master out.  That will go to your entire-bypass switch, that will, in turn, either connect the in and out jacks for the enclosure, OR route things to the order-flipper switch.  The order-flipper switch will, in turn, do most of the hard-lifting for you.

Does that make sense?

I generally use a 3PDT toggle for order flipping, largely because I can't imagine order-flipping mid-song (so no footswitch needed) and because the handle-position on a toggle shows me what comes first, without requiring an LED.

I think I'm following you—I'll take a closer look at the wiring diagrams and see if it's clear. Thank so much!

webberfx

FootSolder

Do you mind telling me how you figure out which switch handle position correlates to the order of the effects? I'm using this diagram, thanks!

iainpunk

Quote from: FootSolder on November 16, 2021, 04:48:52 PM

Do you mind telling me how you figure out which switch handle position correlates to the order of the effects? I'm using this diagram, thanks!

leave the wires long enough so you can twist the switch 180 if your initial guess turns out wrong. or you just measure with a multi meter in which position which part comes first.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

FootSolder

Thanks for your reply! Do you mind explaining how you would use the meter to test for the first part in the path? I can't follow the signal path through the switch and I'd like to label it as AB and BA. Thanks!

duck_arse

a toggle switch? with three terminals - throw the handle up and the middle and lower lug will connect. throw the handle down and the upper and middle will connect. generally.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

FootSolder

Thanks, I understand how the switch position relates to the terminals - what I'm trying to figure out is which position creates which order in this circuit. I feel like it must be possible to use the circuit path (which I'm too dumb to follow) to determine if the 3PDT 'flipper' toggle will select order AB or BA in the up position. I want to use it with two similar sounding drives, so it won't be obvious to users which order they are in, just that the 'order' switch changes it. Any idea if this is possible?

duck_arse

switch problems always lose me. I always say draw the circuit. in this case I'm saying I can't read that diagram. whatever. here's a thing - on the dia, on the flipper, assume the handle is up - draw a shorting bar across each pair of middle and lower lugs - then follow the continuos path from in to the switch to out of the switch.

I really don't know if this will help you. draw the circuit - switches are the simplest circuit there is - show us what you think, we'll try and help from there.

FootSolder

Yeah, I think that works! If I trace the input through the flipper switch in the up position (with contacts between the bottom two rows of terminals) then it is routed into the #2 foot switch, down it routes it to the #1 foot switch. So up would be order 2->1, down would be 1->2. Make sense? Think I just needed a fresh perspective, so thank you!

duck_arse

MikeA

For the OP - if your circuits are side by side, remember to mount the toggle so the handle throws left/right, and it can point toward the side that goes first. 
  • SUPPORTER