Tiny Timmy. A new distortion with vocal octave-up effect

Started by anotherjim, April 01, 2021, 04:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anotherjim

This design shrinks the diode options of a Timmy that concentrates on sludgy heavy distortion and adds an interesting side effect with an almost vocal/sing-song octave up that has a clicky kind of rhythm of its own.
The opamp used is expensive and hard to find except as engineering samples but is a new Burr-Brown design that includes a low-noise CMOS soft-clipping output stage that should revolutionise instrument electronics.

Sound demo clip...
https://soundcloud.com/ashdalestudio/tinytimmy

Enjoy
;)

composition4

I actually have a bunch of OPA4121 (the CN version not AM) lying around... Breadboarded this minus the Selenium plate rectifiers and I'm very impressed

Invertiguy

Got any info on that opamp? I can't seem to find any data on it anywhere and Google turns up nothing.

(assuming this isn't related to the current date, of course  :))

iainpunk

QuoteThe opamp used is expensive and hard to find except as engineering samples but is a new Burr-Brown design that includes a low-noise CMOS soft-clipping output stage that should revolutionise instrument electronics.
you know the CA3130 also have extremely low noise, and soft clipping CMOS output stages
similar GBP as well, a bit faster slew rate, and only one opamp per dip 8 instead of 2 opamps...
i build it with those and selenium rectefiers out of  car battery chargers, and i can only get it to squeal? any pointers?

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: anotherjim on April 01, 2021, 04:24:11 AM
an interesting side effect with an almost vocal/sing-song octave up that has a clicky kind of rhythm of its own.
Very interesting, indeed.

duck_arse

excellent timing, Jim, and an E2 range design to boot. won't those rectifiers be affected by the moon to some extent?

also, yer missing the biasing section.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

iainpunk

Quotealso, yer missing the biasing section.
i just used a 7905 to create 5v, and a 4148 to take off a further 0.6v for a nice 4.4v.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

EBK

Have you tried using a really long wire for the feedback path and zigzagging it through the rectifier plates?  It would probably allow you to make C3 smaller to save some space, making this design even more tiny!

Excellent demo, by the way.   :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

anotherjim

Ah, no bias network needed. It basically floats toward a rail and then jerks itself off toward the opposite rail according to the rectifier via that very loose 10M coupling.
Mind you, I can't see much use for the thing unless you're a fan of The Darkness.

Nasse

You think 3130 could substitute for opa with that biasing of to bipolar suply? And believe i have 3140 in junk box, would it better put lower noise spec One in first or second position. Or put them in sockets. Sounds good, but I was waiting more BGs style voicing, but was more on Barry White setting (trough mobile speakers so dont trust me)
  • SUPPORTER

anotherjim

Device noise isn't really a concern, so long as it's got a high input impedance (gigohms) it's worth a shot. You've only got until 1 minute to midnight to do it. It may already be too late for some.
Also, B2 may be a bridge rectifier too far.

GGBB

• SUPPORTER

anotherjim

The important part number is more like 4-1-21 or 1-4-21 according to regional preferences.

KarenColumbo

There must be some sort of mistake. I had no bridge rectifier at hand, so I used a precision full wave rectifier. But now I have 18 V instead of the promised 9 V.
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

anotherjim

Sorry, Andreas, there is no place for anything with "precision", real or imaginary, in this circuit. You could try x4 of the leakiest and oddest Ge diodes you have to make a bridge. Really, the more mismatched the better!

antonis

I believe there should be some vintage Triumph, Norton or BSA hanging around into garages in Vienna, Andreas..  :icon_wink:
(ultimate source for Selenium rectifiers..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

iainpunk

Quote from: Nasse on April 01, 2021, 10:56:07 AM
You think 3130 could substitute for opa with that biasing of to bipolar suply? And believe i have 3140 in junk box, would it better put lower noise spec One in first or second position. Or put them in sockets. Sounds good, but I was waiting more BGs style voicing, but was more on Barry White setting (trough mobile speakers so dont trust me)

the 3130 and 3140 have different output stages, the 3130 has cmos inverting output stage and the 3140 has a bipolar transistor output stage which is unity gain. very different clipping characteristics between them. here is the transfer curve from the output stage when used open loop

edited bc. shouldn't post serious stuff in joke threads, sorry

cheers

aron

I built mine during my lunch hour but I get octave down only. Luckily I put the Tycobrahe octavia back end on it and got normal pitches. That fixed it fast.

Nasse

Did fall in sleep in studio sofa before magig moment so this is day late dollar short. Did not notice that selenium bridge text until late. I had idea to use plate amplifier instead of plate rectifier, And i have two Selenium titanium drivers which are 100 Watts and said to be super clean. Tlc271 might be useful op amps for somethin
  • SUPPORTER

KarenColumbo

Quote from: anotherjim on April 01, 2021, 04:58:42 PM
Sorry, Andreas, there is no place for anything with "precision", real or imaginary, in this circuit. You could try x4 of the leakiest and oddest Ge diodes you have to make a bridge. Really, the more mismatched the better!
Sorry mate, just wanted in on the joke :)
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"