Tonebender Mk3 Tone Control

Started by m7b52000, April 03, 2021, 12:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m7b52000

I am about to build another TB Mk3. A previous build had the typical tone control cap values of 100n and 2n2 but the  trebly side of the tone sweep is bright enough to make my ears bleed. Every time I read about cap values and tone controls I get confused... Am I right in thinking that increasing the 2n2 cap will set the low pass filter a little higher thus making the treble side of the tone control less bright (removing lass bass) ?

cheers

Tony

bmsiddall

Hi Tony.

My understanding is the 2.2nf/10k is a high pass filter.  Increasing the cap will set the cutoff frequency lower allowing more bass through. I have a mk3 with stock values but it's a little too tinny on the treble side- have previously used 4.7nf on an older build that i recall was better, so will try this again.  Have also seen another comment about 6.8nf being substituted so best to try out a few values to hit your sweet spot.

Cheers,
Brett
  • SUPPORTER

iainpunk

Quote from: bmsiddall on April 03, 2021, 08:58:07 AM
Hi Tony.

My understanding is the 2.2nf/10k is a high pass filter.  Increasing the cap will set the cutoff frequency lower allowing more bass through. I have a mk3 with stock values but it’s a little too tinny on the treble side- have previously used 4.7nf on an older build that i recall was better, so will try this again.  Have also seen another comment about 6.8nf being substituted so best to try out a few values to hit your sweet spot.

Cheers,
Brett
i echo this partially, its a basically a bass cut control, like the treble half of the big muff tone control, what i would suggest a capacitor from ground to the node in between the 220k and the output pot. experiment with the value, i suggest starting at 330pF and going up if still to bright, and going down if its to dark.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Invertiguy

I can't speak for the Mk 3 specifically, but I have messed around with the Dizzy Tone which is pretty damn close and which has a nearly identical tone control and ran into the same issue- the treble side was almost unbearably bright and tinny. I found that increasing the treble side capacitor to 10n helped enormously and made for a much more usable sweep. If I were you, I'd just throw the whole thing together on a breadboard and try progressively larger vales of capacitor until you find one you like. Increasing the value of the resistor will have a similar effect.

antonis

Quote from: timothyferriss on July 19, 2023, 03:39:57 AM
The cutoff frequency of the low pass filter in the treble circuit can be efficiently increased by raising the value of the 2n2 capacitor.

High Pass..  Decreased..!! :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

FiveseveN

It's a bot. Notice the cheeky link to "ovo-game.com"
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

mac

I agree with a 4n7-10n cap instead of 2n2.
And try a cap across the 10k resistor to gnd in the tone control. Start with 1n.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84