TS + Baxandall

Started by Mixa, March 21, 2021, 07:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antonis

It partially happens due to R10 short..

It actually is more complicated 'cause there are two feedforward networks trying to counteract each other (GAIN A vs GAIN B) but let it be.. :icon_wink:

P.S.
It should worth a try putting a cap in place of R10 to set HPF corner frequency according to your taste..
(its value should be considere in series with the 47μF filter cap on +4.5V..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

antonis

Quote from: Mixa on March 24, 2021, 06:08:05 AM
How 'bout a three band baxandall? Anyone has a schematic that is adequate for a guitar pedal?

Or better, build your own one.. :icon_wink:

"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

fryingpan

Quote from: antonis on March 24, 2021, 06:26:09 AM
Quote from: Mixa on March 24, 2021, 06:08:05 AM
How 'bout a three band baxandall? Anyone has a schematic that is adequate for a guitar pedal?

Or better, build your own one.. :icon_wink:

What book is this?

antonis

marcelomd

Last year I learned that it's easier to simulate a Baxandall than to calculate one. I also learned that the filters interact in surprising ways.

Mixa

Thank you! I just realised that the baxandall from the Xotic isn't adequate for the Klon (at least in treble part, bass works great) because the Xotic is based on the TS, which is treblier, so the bax treble control is made to compensate... Let's see what happens during the next few days :-)

If I only knew how Brian did it in the Tumnus Deluxe... :-)

Also, I think the best thing to do is to lose the dual gain pot and have independent 100k pots for clean and clipped lines

marcelomd

Quote from: Mixa on March 25, 2021, 08:29:04 AM
If I only knew how Brian did it in the Tumnus Deluxe... :-)

My guess is he uses gyrator based equalizers. Why? It's what he did to the Clarksdale (TS+3 band eq).

Mixa

Dayum :-) a new thing to learn :-)
I know there are mid controls in Fulltones etc. which use wah inductors, but gyrators I don't know anything about... will look it up, thanks

marcelomd

Quote from: Mixa on March 25, 2021, 11:41:06 AM
Dayum :-) a new thing to learn :-)
I know there are mid controls in Fulltones etc. which use wah inductors, but gyrators I don't know anything about... will look it up, thanks

For our intents and purposes, gyrators are simulated inductors.

Check good old Elliot's site: https://sound-au.com/articles/gyrator-filters.htm

POTL

Tube Screamer with baxandall is the Xotic BB Preamp. The Klon already has half the Baxandall, you just need to add the bass control.

Mixa

Here's yet another rookie question about the Klon... when the Gain pot is at full or thereabout, the Volume pot reaches unity (same level as when the pedal is off) already at 1 (if the range is from 0 to 10, let's say). How do I move that spot to 3 or 4, is there a resistor I have to increase to reduce the gain before it hits the Volume pot, like R16, R20, R25..? I've replaced the stock treble circuit with a 3 band baxandall.

antonis

Set Gain pot to max, set Volume pot at 30% (or so) CW rotation and trim R25 value..

P.S. The above will alter Volume level from 3 or 4 up to almost(*) max..

(*)here comes next stage input impedance as well as R27 & R28..

P.S.
Same effect can be obtained by lowering R27 and/or R28 value..