Replacing Dual Concentric Center Tap Pot Options?

Started by Jmkrull, April 06, 2021, 02:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmkrull

So, I pulled a volume/balance pot off a Pioneer receiver today to clean it and I ended up breaking it (age. just kinda fell apart). Now, I can't find a replacement outright and haven't been able to for the years. I need some help as to what I can do to get this thing running.

Pot is 250k with a center tap. (pictured below)

So, with the center tap lug wires, do these need to be wired to anything, or could they be left out? I know they relate to the loudness function, but if that is lost vs. the receiver being a total loss, that's a decent tradeoff to salvage the unit.

The only center tapped pot I can find is a regular dual gang 100k with a center tap. What would happen if I used this?

I'm cool with setting balance to dead center. If I can completely ditch that with a 125k resistor situation, cool. Still don't know what to do about the center tap lug/wire then. Otherwise, I'm fine stowing a balance pot within the receiver and just having volume reachable (i.e. two separate 250k pots).

For the volume pot, can I put in a regular 250k and be cool and figure out what to do with the center tap wire?

Otherwise, not sure what else to do.

Schematic: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Thx7L7Se-MRqO-0RBKXuXkO8o-paP2OR/view

anotherjim

You can get dual 250k log pots - Fender made some Jazz Basses with 1/4" ones so they are available from guitar parts suppliers. The pot bushing and shaft may not suit the chassis, but electrically it should work.
The loudness tap connection I would ignore and just make the redundant wire safe.

PRR

Ignore the loudness tap.

Ignore the balance function.

Radio Shack used to sell a dual 100K Audio taper which served me well in many similar projects. (It even has a tap, but I never cared.) 250k is rather old-school low-fi, although fine for most and certainly to keep it out of landfill.
  • SUPPORTER

Jmkrull

Ok, so I can leave off the loudness function, cool.

So, would I only need a single gang pot? Seems like with the dual concentric, one for balance, one was for volume. I guess I don't know what to do with swapping this out for a dual would do. Seems like the balance would change with the volume (i.e. 75% left speaker/25% right @ 25% volume) know what i'm sayin?

PRR

Quote from: Jmkrull on April 06, 2021, 06:19:17 PM....Seems like with the dual concentric, one for balance, one was for volume.....

One for left, one for right. I don't see a Balance function.
  • SUPPORTER