DAM Meathead volume issue

Started by OiMcCoy, April 11, 2021, 09:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OiMcCoy

Hello y'all,

So I have been working on my own version of a 1 Knob Fuzz on a breadboard for a while. It's not far off from a Meathead Dark at the moment, but I am unsure what size caps I should use for the input as I want it to be bass and doom friendly. So I added an input cap sweep which works really well for changing the voice from vintage to over the top. Still wanting to keep it as a single knob, I thought it would be nice to make a prototype with the cap sweep an send it to a bunch of players to see what position they like the most with the hopes of finding a consensus.

Now to the point. Using a verified vero layout with the minor tweak to add the sweep, I made a circuit and boxed it up before testing it, like the bright guy that I am. Well it works.... if I crank up the amp. There is very very little volume passing through the circuit, but it sounds right (or close to it) when cranking the amp. I have never had this problem before. So before I start going through the motions trying to figure out what is what I thought putting this issue out here might draw up some better ideas of where to start troubleshooting.

Sorry if this is not nearly enough info to go on, so let me know what you need to know to help me out.

Thanks everyone. You guys are always super helpful. If not a little intimidating.

OiMcCoy

So I am a darn moron. As I was going through getting voltage readings I happened to notice that there was no output cap.

Going to solder that in and see if that fixes the problem.

OiMcCoy

Yup... all god now. Next issue. How to delete this post.

iainpunk

this is also nominated for ''thread of the year''
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers