Foxx Tone Machine with Octave Level/Blend

Started by aviherman5, April 09, 2021, 01:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aviherman5

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you had ideas on how to make an octave level/blend for the Foxx Tone Machine?

Here is a schematic that I am using (a wee bit modified but only tone stack wise, nothing to do with the octave):

I did have one idea, maybe it's viable. Would it be possible to change R9 and R11 to 50k resistors and attach them to the outside legs of a 100k linear pot, then connect the wiper to ground?

Thanks so much for all your help!

aviherman5

Here is the schematic:

Didn't post on the last post ::)

kaycee

There's not an easy way to do it from within the circuit to my eye. I'd suggest that you make a blender circuit and mix your input with the octave fuzz. You could put a distortion in the loop, or have it as presented to the octave input.

iainpunk

first of all, bad idea
due to the nature of the circuit, blending doesn't actually blend the octave, it gives a worse and worse octave by basically varying the gated-ness of one side of the wave.
blending an octave part of a fuzz won't work, since its not really a clean octave, but a wave shaper.
what the circuit does is folding over the wave at the zero-crossing, what you can do is change the level at which the fold occurs, or the amplitude of said fold at the zero-crossing

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Keppy

I have a circuit that goes from full-wave rectified (octave up) to half-wave rectified (bottom half of the wave removed, sounds more like normal fuzz than you'd think). Something like that would get you kinda-sorta what you want.

The easiest way to do it would be to put a pot wired as a variable resistor between D3/R23 and switch pin 3. With the pot turned to no resistance, there's no change to the circuit. With the pot at lots of resistance, half of the waveform sees much more resistance than the other and will be de-emphasized accordingly. With enough resistance, half of the wave is nearly removed.

Try a 1meg pot and go down from there if it's too much.
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley