Applying decals/clear coat to a glittered enclosure

Started by lvckv, April 11, 2021, 08:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lvckv

So I'm a couple of coats of paint and a bunch of glitter into this enclosure.

Was planning on adding some waterslide inkjet decals and was wondering exactly what I should be doing now...

Applying the decal straight on top of the glitter doesn't seem a great idea?
Or I can apply some clear coat and then put the decal on top (before putting clear coat on top of that, obviously) – is that workable?

davent

You have i right, clearcoat first to achieve a flat surface, apply decal, clearcoat. Don't get impatient and try to rush the leveling coats, don't clearcoat with heavy coats, apply mist coats, dry between coats, it will take a lot of coats to get level smooth.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

kaycee

Exactly as Davent says above, done it many times. I use brush on Plastikote clear, de-cant some into a container so as not to contaminate the rest. If spraying it's not an issue. Consider white print over the purple, will look fab!

lvckv

Ah cool, thanks. So just more coats than usual over the top then.

bluebunny

Quote from: davent on April 11, 2021, 11:26:37 AM
apply mist coats

^^ This!

And make sure that glittery finish has completely dried before you start.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

davent

I did a metal flake finish - once - and it took a many many coats of clear to get there, (using an airbrush), the purple glitter covering looks much coarser than what i had to deal with. Patience will be rewarded.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

kaycee

After a few coats, just flat it off, even if it is still rough. Then decal, then clear again as many as you want.