MOCKMAN frequency response

Started by Vivek, April 15, 2021, 07:11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vivek

I have been busy the last few months with my project to analyse the Rockman X100 with the goal to build a suitable clone in pedal format by replacing hard to get old parts with modern parts, and to add some functionality (which is present in ROCKMAN rack units but not available on the X100)

I decided to have a brief look at the MOCKMAN ver 2 schematic at http://www.runoffgroove.com/mm2.html, using LTSPICE.

Here are the SPICE graphs of the Rockman X100 "Complex Filter" that is considered by many to be the first Cab Sim for maybe the first Amp in a Box in guitar electronics history

and here is the Frequency curve of the MOCKMAN :

In the words of our respected guru TEEMU K:

Quote from: teemuk on January 04, 2016, 12:47:03 PM
Just look at "Mockman". This is supposed to sound similar to Rockman units.

... it's not even remotedly based on Rockman distortion section. Hard opamp overdrive, no built-in gain compression, no BBD effects, no cabsim. Entirely different overdrive characteristics, entirely different response alltogether. It's nothing like a Rockman, doesn't sound like a Rockman. They may feel it does, but it really doesn't. Not even a bit.

Vivek

Instead of just moaning about it,

I decided to design a better circuit that creates the DIST and EDGE sounds of the X100, without the Chorus and Reverb, at lower cost.