Rak DLY-2 (Boss DM-2 clone) delay tails mod?

Started by thewaronfuzz, April 16, 2021, 10:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewaronfuzz

I have been asked by someone to rehouse a Rak DLY-2 delay pedal which I believe is a clone of the Boss DM-2. They have asked if it would be possible to add a tails mod to it. I've only ever carried this out on PT2399 delays and was wondering whether it would be a similar process? The pedal has a MN3205 delay chip and appears to have a Boss style buffered bypass switching. Just thought I would ask here in case anyone would be able to help as it's stumped me a bit!

pinkjimiphoton

seems to me, all ya gotta do is change the switching a little bit. hotwire it to always be on.
then mod the switching so all it does is turn the input to the delay part off and on. i've done that with belton brick reverbs and had good luck with it. i just use a transistor as a switch someone here showed me, works mint.

hit the switch, and ya go between the normal circuit and the modified one. if you cut the input to the delay part itself, leaving the dry signal intact, when ya turn it off, the delay will continue with the tails of whatever it was doing before ya cut it off. the transistor/jfet switching keeps "pops" at bay.

there's likely better ways to do this, but that's the basic idea. the pedal's already buffered anyways, so tonally it shouldn't change. just switch the dry signal to the input of the delay part in and out and ya should be golden.

if ya add a switch at c2 and r9, it seems to me that will allow the dry signal thru, and just switch the input of the delay off n on

hopefully someone more knowledgeable will confirm or correct me on this. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr