Please help me to add a Pre-distortion Mid Control to a Rockman X100

Started by Vivek, April 16, 2021, 12:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vivek

Part of the scope of the project to make a modernised clone of the ROCKMAN X100 is to add some new features

I am very interested in adding a pre-distortion Mid Boost/Scoop

Please help me to decide

A) Would fixed Q and F and pot for amount of boost/cut be sufficient ?
If yes, what Q at Max boost and F would you recommend ?

B) How about the semi parametric MT2 Mid control (explained so well by Tom / Electric Druid)

C) What about the Gyrator Mid control as explained on Tom's HARD BARGAIN page ?

D) Respected Mr. Hammer had a 3 band EQ circuit which I remember seeing long ago. It had an Active mid control

E) There was a recent post here with 100mH inductor for Mid control
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=126694.msg1212436#msg1212436

F) STM non-interacting 3 band EQ has a mid with a Q of 1.4 at max boost at 700 Hz

https://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/STMs-Circuit-Ideas/Three_band_Eq_non_interacting_bands.png.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

G) A Baxandall type Mid control can have a rather low Q around 0.57 at max boost at around 750 Hz

Any other options I should look at ? Which approach is best (Sufficient functionality without being overdesigned)

Looking forward to your guidance on best way to go with a pre-distortion Mid boost/cut to be added to Rockman X100

:)

iainpunk

how about a bridge tee filter in the feedback loop of an opamp?

the opamp in this dist/fuzz does some aggressive mid pushing, might be nice. it doesn't scoop tho.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

marcelomd

I'd go the Baxandall route.

The Sansamp Character Series call it the "character" knob. Every one is a bit different. I have a Joyo clone of the Blonde (Fender Tweed). Sounds pretty good.

Vivek

Quote from: iainpunk on April 16, 2021, 09:02:01 PM
how about a bridge tee filter in the feedback loop of an opamp?
the opamp in this dist/fuzz does some aggressive mid pushing, might be nice. it doesn't scoop tho.

cheers, Iain

Dear Iain,

I feel a scoop is also necessary, to be able to do "Frown EQ". Am I on the correct track ?

Quote from: marcelomd on April 16, 2021, 11:17:17 PM

The Sansamp Character Series call it the "character" knob. Every one is a bit different. I have a Joyo clone of the Blonde (Fender Tweed). Sounds pretty good.

I do not have enough information on the Sansamp

There is Teemu K's excellent analysis from long ago

Then some frequency response graphs measured by someone.
https://www.tdpri.com/threads/joyo-american-vs-tech21-blonde-comparison-many-graphs.786013/
https://www.tdpri.com/threads/different-voice-settings-on-joyo-american-sound.821457/

and two sites in Russian with schematic and some explanations.

Could you point me to best schematic and best frequency response graphs ?

Is this Baxandall placed pre-distortion ? Would you know the Q of the Mid band ? I saw on some of my SPICE models, that the mid band Q can be 0.57 at max boost at around 750 Hz, which is miserably low. I have a gut feel I need around 1.7 to 2.5 Q for mid band Pre-distortion control

I will most probably have a post distortion tone control at the end of the mono part and most probably that would be a Baxandall.

But now I am looking at pre-distortion controls.

Thank you for your inputs

marcelomd

Quote from: Vivek on April 17, 2021, 04:52:19 AM
Quote from: marcelomd on April 16, 2021, 11:17:17 PM

I do not have enough information on the Sansamp

There is Teemu K's excellent analysis from long ago

Then some frequency response graphs measured by someone.
https://www.tdpri.com/threads/joyo-american-vs-tech21-blonde-comparison-many-graphs.786013/
https://www.tdpri.com/threads/different-voice-settings-on-joyo-american-sound.821457/

and two sites in Russian with schematic and some explanations.

Could you point me to best schematic and best frequency response graphs ?

Is this Baxandall placed pre-distortion ? Would you know the Q of the Mid band ? I saw on some of my SPICE models, that the mid band Q can be 0.57 at max boost at around 750 Hz, which is miserably low. I have a gut feel I need around 1.7 to 2.5 Q for mid band Pre-distortion control

I will most probably have a post distortion tone control at the end of the mono part and most probably that would be a Baxandall.

But now I am looking at pre-distortion controls.

Thank you for your inputs

I saw the schematics in the other forum (Can we name that forum here? Can I post something from there here?). They are in PDF, so here is a screenshot.

The general idea of those circuits is input buffer -> Baxandall mid -> distortion -> some filters, maybe cab simulation -> Bax mid control -> Bax bass+treble -> output buffer. The difference between the models are mostly the pre distortion mids and some eq later.

FiveseveN

Quote from: Vivek on April 17, 2021, 04:52:19 AM
Am I on the correct track ?
I feel like you're still missing an important aspect: you can't design an effect by looking at graphs. A guitar signal will need to go through it at some point, and not a prerecorded one.
For example:
QuoteI saw on some of my SPICE models, that the mid band Q can be 0.57 at max boost at around 750 Hz, which is miserably low. I have a gut feel I need around 1.7 to 2.5 Q
A Q any higher than miserably low will noticeably affect the "character" of the guitar, which is great if you're making an MT-2 but not if you're going for "transparent" tone. Neither is "better", it's an aesthetic choice. How do you decide which one you prefer without hearing it?

Second example:
QuoteI feel a scoop is also necessary
You could spend a lifetime trying to characterize the vast landscape of guitar signals, study intermodulation and count harmonics 'till the cows come home. Or you could strum a chord through it and realize in one second why that's rarely musically useful.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

iainpunk

a scoop is super nice... if playing clean...
if you like distortion, i don't think a scoop is all that useful, only when you can compensate with a mid push in another area, and order of operations is super important as well:
[boost mids > clipping > scoop mids]
for instance, scoop at 500Hz with 6dB and boost at 1k with 18dB for a ''BROOOOTAL'' death metal tone, if you switch those around you get the ''desert rock'' kind of vibes. if you place both at 750 Hz you have the metal zone sound

i strongly recommend you experiment with a bunch of filters to ''test your taste'' as to which frequencies you like to boost or scoop.

if you want to copy a real unit, you might want to just clone its numerical character. but if you want to do a ''based on but improved'' you have to bread board a bunch of filters and just experiment until your finger tips are sore of changing components (or playing the strings for hours on end)

cheers

edit: warning!!!
don't scoop before clipping, this makes things muddy and inconsistent. i had build a dirt pedal for bass once, and when playing guitar through it above about the 5th fret on the low E string or higher, it became almost clean, but really muddy in character. its one of the few perfboards i actually threw away after putting something better in the enclosure.
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Vivek

Pre-distortion mid control "Character" in a Joyo clone of a TECH21 BLONDE Character series pedal

It has boost and scoop.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=G6XK6khLaxM&feature=share

Demo of Character knob around 01:40

iainpunk

Quote from: Vivek on April 18, 2021, 06:36:16 AM
Pre-distortion mid control "Character" in a Joyo clone of a TECH21 BLONDE Character series pedal

It has boost and scoop.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=G6XK6khLaxM&feature=share

Demo of Character knob around 01:40
yeah, but the only point where he shows the scoop below center with the drive up is at 4:42, and it sounds kinda muddy and... not so great in my opinion, i bet it farts out when you crank the gain and scoop all the mids. it also kinda takes down the drive when scooping, but i doubt you want to use the distortion channel for cleans?

cheers

cheers

Vivek

Thank you for your comments and advice, Iain , FiveseveN, marcelomd

marcelomd

Quote from: iainpunk on April 18, 2021, 09:59:33 AM
yeah, but the only point where he shows the scoop below center with the drive up is at 4:42, and it sounds kinda muddy and... not so great in my opinion, i bet it farts out when you crank the gain and scoop all the mids. it also kinda takes down the drive when scooping, but i doubt you want to use the distortion channel for cleans?

cheers

It farts a little. I don't remember it being too much tough. Supposedly this emulates the early tweed series which farted out because of oversized coupling caps passing to much bass.

ElectricDruid

If you want a mid that boosts and cuts to put ahead of the distortion, and with the relatively high Q you were after, then the gyrator is probably the best bet. If you can manage with lower Q, the baxandall is simpler, and gives a better knob response. The gyrator does nothing until the extremes of the pot, which is a bit annoying (see my graph that you posted, and my comments on the Hard Bargain page). The control response was the reason I went with the Baxandall for the Hard Bargain, ultimately. The gyrator is a bit "all or nothing", and the feel isn't so good.

If you were looking for a mid boost only before the distortion, you might have a few more options. Well, you have a few more options anyway, but they all get more complicated for no massive benefit. I mean, you *could* use a state-variable filter EQ to provide this function, but it'd cost you a ton of op-amps and mucking about for something that could be done more easily. Unless you decide you need something semi-parametric or fully-parametric, those more complex designs (like the MT-2 mid) aren't really worth it. But they're great if you want all the options!!

Tom