Are BBD chips considered Analog or Digital, or even neither or both?

Started by bushidov, April 17, 2021, 12:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

I wonder if you can catch covid more easily when using a digital chorus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

merlinb

Quote from: bushidov on April 23, 2021, 08:30:41 AM
Merlinb, what is the RAM storing, then? Whatever it is, it must be binary, somehow?
It's just clocking the bitstream through a serial shift register.

bushidov

Merlinb, does that mean the bitstream is holding the voltage values at a digitized value (0 - 1023, assuming it's a 10 bit ADC) per quantized time value?
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

merlinb

Quote from: bushidov on April 23, 2021, 09:45:54 AM
Merlinb, does that mean the bitstream is holding the voltage values at a digitized value (0 - 1023, assuming it's a 10 bit ADC) per quantized time value?
It's a 1-bit DAC, so the only 'values' are 0 and 1. It's very much a 'yang' to the BBD's 'ying' way of doing things. Easier to explain in pictures:
https://www.beis.de/Elektronik/DeltaSigma/DeltaSigma.html

bushidov

Ah, so instead of the RAM holding a single multibit value per quantized time unit, it has multiple single bit values that the order of the string of bits make up the single shape of the analog curve over time. That's a good way to get more resolution with less RAM. And the shift registers bit width resolves the "CPU time" for "calculation", as now it doesn't have to calculate anything, but rather just shift it out pieces at a time for analog filters to re-round out as analog curves. That's pretty cool.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

amz-fx

An example circuit...

MC3302P is a quad analog comparator IC.  The Vin is an analog signal and D0-D3 are analog comparator outputs that will vary in a binary count as the Vin changes. They are not even sampled since they will flip around as the analog signal exceeds the various comparator thresholds. There is no clock driver.

The Vin input signal is analog and the four outputs are analog, however, this is an analog-to-digital converter. The D outputs are either low or high analog voltages.

:o If I take D3 and output it as an audio signal, I will get a fuzz tone. Analog?  If I store the states of the D0-D3 as ones or zeros, it has become digital? What if I store the output of D0-D3 on capacitors and then mix their voltages in an inverting opamp with weighted resistor values to recreate the Vin signal? Where did it become or not become digital? The dividing line is a little fuzzy here...

Best regards, Jack  :)

ps: This is an actual circuit that has had commercial use.

bushidov

Quotehe dividing line is a little fuzzy here...
I see what you did there. 😏

amz-fx

"A man who would make a pun, would pick a pocket." - Samuel Johnson

:icon_mrgreen:  :icon_mrgreen:  :icon_mrgreen:

-Jack

Fancy Lime

Quote from: merlinb on April 23, 2021, 08:24:37 AM
Quote from: WoundUp on April 23, 2021, 06:23:10 AM
So what about the PT2399? I've heard those referred to as digital and analog, also.
The PT2399 uses sigma modulation, so it's the same quandry as the BBD; neither truly digital nor definitely analog. The analog is encoded in a bit stream but not as discrete digital numbers, rather as the average integrated value of the stream. I've said before "the PT2399 is as analog as any BBD... just in a different way" ! ;)
Huh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the explanation!

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!