Any experience with the Boscorelli Phase-O-Matic?

Started by Mark Hammer, April 18, 2021, 11:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

Finally got my Phase-O-Matic working, and more or less properly calibrated.  (a bad toggle switch, a misoriented electrolytic cap, and a fried electro impeded functionality) I'm not finding it to be the most inspiring phaser I've played, despite the complexity of design and number of features.  I'm missing the feedback, but Boscorelli says that the circuit's use of companding makes feedback "impractical".

HOWEVER, I am powering it from a regulated 12V supply, rather than the recommended 15V.  The intention is to use it as a module for a larger modular synth, the rest of which calls for a +/-12V supply.  The book says: "POM is optimized for a 15V supply.  Significant departure from this voltage is not recommended."

Is the difference between 15 and 12V "significant", or was Boscorelli thinking in terms of people who might choose to try out a 9V supply?

frequencycentral

Hi Mark! You're not going to find that much changes really. I produce both Eurorack (+/-12V) and MU (+/-15V) modules. I've adapted many designs between the two, the difference is not discernable. Either versus 9V is of course significant.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!