Harmonic Percolator - Perfecting the Circuit

Started by ManicStrat1982, April 20, 2021, 02:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmsiddall

Quote from: iainpunk on April 23, 2021, 04:08:44 PM
its not really a 'nice'' octave up, its really chaotic and harsh.

cheers
Sounds like it's in my wheelhouse  :icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER

iainpunk

Quote from: bmsiddall on April 23, 2021, 04:45:11 PM
Quote from: iainpunk on April 23, 2021, 04:08:44 PM
its not really a 'nice'' octave up, its really chaotic and harsh.

cheers
Sounds like it's in my wheelhouse  :icon_twisted:
you can also do the same thing with the first gain stage, for an even more harsh fuzz.
transistor choice becomes more important in this case, and the diodes have an impact as well.
taking down the value of the coupling cap between the stages also gives a more buzzey and harsh [vintage?] character, look at the Harmonic Instant Coffee i posted earlier.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

ManicStrat1982

Status update 05/03/2021

After countless hours and 8 different bread boards up and running with different versions of the circuit, I have found my "best sounding" circuit!

Using the Giblet schematic with c1 a silver mica 96pf, c2 a 47nf film, c3 and c6 100nf film instead of ceramic, c4 a 50uf tantalum, resistors are mostly stock except for r1 is 680k instead of 750k, r4 is 91k instead of 20k, and r6 is 1k instead of 4.7k. D2 and D3 are 1n34a silicon workalikes I got fro Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q4J9WMX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Q1 is a 2n404a  hfe  143 and 64ua of leakage, and Q2 is a 2n3565  hfe 273. I used a 1n4001 for polarity protection and a 47uf electrolytic cap for power filtering.
This thing sounds awesome!  ;D It sounds a lot like the demos I've heard (minor differences due to online audio quality and recording techniques.)
Overall I am extremely happy with the results. The time spent was definitely worth it!
As soon as I can I will post some audio/video of my build, although I haven't had time to box it yet.

garcho

QuoteThis thing sounds awesome!  ;D
Overall I am extremely happy with the results.

Bravo! Welcome to the fold. I hope it brings your audience hours of listening pleasure :)

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"