Help me build an EHX Deluxe Hot Tubes

Started by hair force one, April 20, 2021, 12:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hair force one

Got this one for a loooong time (a gift) and it used to have an unidentified japanese phasor board that eventually stopped workin' in the late 90's so i got rid of that.
But man those holes are staring at me EVERSINCE like five bleak space suckers from the deep, i can't sleep anymore.
Still wondering what kind of fx to put inside:

• real tube
  • PLL synth voice
  • some kind of filter
  • mini reverb tank
  • some noise
  • ?

iainpunk

i'd say a belton brick or 2399 or SV-1 reverb/delay

real tubes can better be a stand alone pedal, since this one already has some dirt being created.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Mark Hammer

The Hot Tubes uses a version of the Big Muff-style Tone control, that pans between a shallow highpass and shallow lowpass filter.  It also includes a "Tone bypass" switch for those who don't want the midscoop produced by the tonestack.  I suggest a treble-mid-bass section (e.g., ROG Tonemender) to follow the basic Hot Tubes, for a more tailored tone.

hair force one

mmh, an echo distortion sounds cool (wonder if this already exists) and i have a board with a PT2399 somewhere. Thought for a minute i could put a litle synth drum voice (EMM syntom) that needs a box but the pots are soldered in line along the board so it won't fit the holes of the Hot Tubes.

hair force one

just salvaged an old rebote delay 2 board i had laying around (made of cardboard paper, what innocent and punk minded was i) and decided to fit the princeton chip inside the distortion circuitry, just to keep it nice & simple.

hair force one

et voilĂ , took me some time but the delay board is in the box and alive. It's modulated as shit and sounds like a shoegazer's wet dream.

I'm ok with these old alloy knobs, new parts are the 5 volt regulator, footswitch and a pair of 22k resistors.