Klon Clone Kit - Diagnostics

Started by cacarver, April 20, 2021, 12:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cacarver

Hello,
I have been tinkering with pedal mods for a while but this is my first time really taking on a full pedal kit (other than a 7 minute fuzz). I bought the Klon clone kit off eBay and installed it based on the instructions with no mods. It powers on and there isn't really any hissing or noise but when I engage it, there is a slight overdrive sound behind the clean tone that comes out. It is hardly noticeable and very weak.

I am not sure of the best way to diagnose this. Does anyone have a link to another post with similar issues or can someone please help out? I've included a photo below and I'm willing to add any other necessary info that could help.

Thank you!

idy

welcome to the forum!

People will want to see the build doc, so we can stay things like "R16" or "C12."

The klon mixes a buffered signal with the overdrive signal. Maybe you are getting the OD but it's not reaching the mixer stage. For this you want to signal trace (instrument cable with capacitor attached.)

Also taking voltages for the ICs is a good place to start.

iainpunk

Quote from: idy on April 20, 2021, 01:13:01 PM
welcome to the forum!

People will want to see the build doc, so we can stay things like "R16" or "C12."

The klon mixes a buffered signal with the overdrive signal. Maybe you are getting the OD but it's not reaching the mixer stage. For this you want to signal trace (instrument cable with capacitor attached.)

Also taking voltages for the ICs is a good place to start.
or build and use an audio probe to trace the signal:

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

cacarver

Thank you both for your help. I've always wanted to get into pedal building but obviously this one is way over my head. I ended up scrapping it. There's just too much to diagnose and I'm burning the PCB trying to re solder joints.

Are there any simple projects that you would recommend or should I just try to find a new hobby?

iainpunk

Quote from: cacarver on April 21, 2021, 02:16:57 PM
Thank you both for your help. I've always wanted to get into pedal building but obviously this one is way over my head. I ended up scrapping it. There's just too much to diagnose and I'm burning the PCB trying to re solder joints.

Are there any simple projects that you would recommend or should I just try to find a new hobby?
do not quit a hobby when things don't go as you wish... that's just defeatism. start with simple circuits!
have you tried the Bazz Fuss already? its only a few components, and its a genius circuit! i love the circuit so much that i used a modified one as the pre-amp of my DIY amplifier.
its also known as the ''7 minute fuzz'' but i don't like it when people change circuit names.
the transistors and diodes aren't too critical, i recommend asking your local electronics store for an assortment of NPN transistors and different diodes. i recommend using a 100k resistor, and 1uf caps for in and output caps, and a 100k volume pot.
another tip: get a bread board for experimentation!

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

eh la bas ma

Quote from: cacarver on April 21, 2021, 02:16:57 PM

My first build was based on one of the most famous volume booster, it's a great tool to boost an other effect, and really easy to build. Next I did the 3verb, it was quite simple too, and a very good reverb.
https://www.musikding.de/The-HardOne-Booster-kit
https://www.musikding.de/3verb-reverb

If you live in Europe, i suggest to visit musikding.de. They have thousands of projects and you can check instructions first, to see if you understand everything and if you will be able to build them.

You should begin with projects that have detailed instructions, in my opinion.
I would say that the most difficult things in the beginning are component's orientations and soldering. You'll get better at soldering once you have some practice and are used to it, and you can always ask about component's orientations on this forum, or look for answers on the internet.

You need some basic tools : fine solder wire (too large and you are going to put too much solder on your pads), a fine tip on your iron (set around 400 °C), a multimeter (cheap one with Hz mod, like VC97A), a desoldering pump and some cutting pliers.
"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.

stallik

I'd like to suggest that you unscrap this project. Instead, consign it to a box or drawer marked "unfinished projects" as you get better and more successful at building working circuits, you can return to the unfinished pile and stand a better chance of fixing them.
Even the most talented and experienced members here have such a pile of projects. It's part of the learning process and really rewarding when you finally get one working
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

iainpunk

Quote from: stallik on April 23, 2021, 04:25:59 PM
I'd like to suggest that you unscrap this project. Instead, consign it to a box or drawer marked "unfinished projects" as you get better and more successful at building working circuits, you can return to the unfinished pile and stand a better chance of fixing them.
Even the most talented and experienced members here have such a pile of projects. It's part of the learning process and really rewarding when you finally get one working
that's great advice! wish i gave it myself.
as an experienced builder, i don't have one of those piles... i worked through them all in the lock down period.

cheers

cheers