9v battery check/monitor w. bi-colour led (common ground)

Started by any, April 25, 2021, 05:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

any

Hi,

After wanting a simple battery health monitor for my Active bass (Bartolini NTBT) I had a look for what I could find on the net
but nothing quite did what i wanted (minimum parts count, and a bi-colour led with common ground but separate anodes) and an easy way
to set a fairly accurate voltage where it would go from green to orange to red.

So here's my take on a circuit I found and converted to common cathode, as well as fairly good adjustability with the 10k trimpot.
(I needed to set it around 8.5v and it was no problem, can go down to 7 I think without issue)

with my settings 9.5v/8.75v(approx) is green, 8.5v starts to get orange, and 8v red

Could be a nice addition to pedals as well that need a certain supply voltage to sound good and takes up nearly no space on a board.
(10 holes x5 strips vero)

It's supposed to sound that way.

niektb

Just a question as food for thought, how much does the circuit drain in terms of current? (as I see a fairly low-impedance resistor divider that's always on)

iainpunk

i build a similar thing for a 12v system for a school project once, it was designed for way lower currents tho, and it had 3 lights, all 3 on was full 12v, only 2 was 11v and one was 10v, if all were off, it was running on less than 10v. this saves power when the batterey was nearly empty.
i used a quad opamp and some zener diode and resistor magic

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

duck_arse

don't make me draw another line.

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

any

Quote from: niektb on April 25, 2021, 08:29:07 AM
Just a question as food for thought, how much does the circuit drain in terms of current? (as I see a fairly low-impedance resistor divider that's always on)

Fair, need to check that. As it's for my active Bass that would be good to know. Thanks
(edit) Just found out my Ma setting on the multimeter is not working... so TBC  :icon_lol:

any

Quote from: duck_arse on April 25, 2021, 10:25:50 AM
no circuit diagram? no CLR on the orange led?

I'll post a circuit diagram but went straight from breadboard to vero  :icon_lol:. Orange is when green is on and red starts to light up as well,
so there's no 'orange led' just green and red bi-colour)

any

Quote from: davent on April 25, 2021, 12:34:10 PM
A couple ideas from Paul in the lab...

https://paulinthelab.blogspot.com/2014/07/simple-dual-led-battery-monitor.html

I've built this one, gets lots of use, so much stuff with 9v batteries in them.

Yeah tried that initially, but a pain for me with the zeners and setting the transition from green to red precisely with a trimpot.
I'll check the current drain on this though that was a fair comment. not really considered that but obviously important to know... ha!

any

Quote from: niektb on April 25, 2021, 08:29:07 AM

Well, just checked and current drain for the circuit is 3.75Ma ;-)
I think that falls into 'acceptable' compared to a 'dumb' status led?

stallik

Just knocked one together but used 2 separate led's as I'm out of pi-polar. Works fine, hardly as accurate as a meter but useful if I ever need one in a pedal. Used a vertical trim pot to get the board size down to 7x5
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

any

Quote from: stallik on April 27, 2021, 09:34:10 AM
Just knocked one together but used 2 separate led's as I'm out of pi-polar. Works fine, hardly as accurate as a meter but useful if I ever need one in a pedal. Used a vertical trim pot to get the board size down to 7x5

Cool, What I ended up doing is measure a battery with the multimeter to a voltage that was still good and then adjust the trimpot to show red. Found it easier than zeners as it's easier to adjust 'on the fly'.

amptramp

There is always the analog option.  Just grab the meter out of one of these:

A lot of old cassette recorders had meters of this type or smaller circular ones that could easily be pressed into service.  You can make up a voltage divider for it.  This is the mojo solution.

Phend

When all else fails (do not attempt on wall sockets)

• SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

stallik

I replaced the face of such a meter so it had "Blatty/Mojo/Clean on the scale. Intended to put it in a fuzz but couldn't find one I liked. Now I have, I can't find the meter ::)
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein