DeadEndFX Lovetone Enigma ? Flanger issues

Started by danielzink, April 25, 2021, 12:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josemitejam

Ok very good then, just wanted to make sure! Thanks a ton again!

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Josemitejam on June 29, 2021, 12:19:58 PM
Ok very good then, just wanted to make sure! Thanks a ton again!

Can't see your pics but, did you use DIFFUSED GREEN LEDs for all the LED/LDR combos? If you used water clear/High brightness then that could cause distortions also.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Josemitejam

Hey sorry! I missed your question way back then. I'm using these...

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/604-WP7113GT

They were recommended in the build guide, although only as comparable to the knight lites. Maybe I should try those?

I've noticed that if I calibrate the  bias trim the way it says in the build guide then I get no effect, it's only when I get a lot of static in the bias trim calibrating that the effect will then come through. I have two of these built now and I've noticed that that's the case for both of them. I'm calibrating with a voltage generator, not an oscilloscope. So maybe it's time to buy one?

Govmnt_Lacky

When you calibrate, you 'should' only get static on the very edges of the working range of the bias trimmer. There should be a noticeable "sweet spot" on the bias where you get clean flanging.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

Josemitejam

Hmm ok, I'm going to call around about those knight lites then. I haven't been able to find any online but I have found about 4 Canadian distributors of theirs. Which LEDs did you end up using? Do you remember where you got them?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Josemitejam on July 19, 2021, 11:26:45 AM
Which LEDs did you end up using? Do you remember where you got them?

I always used the diffused green LEDs from Tayda. Worked every time  ;D

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/leds/round-leds/5mm-leds/led-5mm-green.html

Josemitejam

Awesome! I just ordered a bunch. Did you use these for all 4 spots (on the mother board and daughter board)? Or did you use the VTL5C3 vactrols on the mother board?

Josemitejam

Ok I just noticed something: I swapped out a vactrol for an LED/LDR combination, the one right next to the regen bias on the motherboard, and I noticed that the LED stays at the same level of brightness no matter what knobs I turn or what trim pot I turn. This is true for both of the pedals I made. So if there's a mistake I least made it consistently!

Is the correct?

Thanks!

Joe

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Josemitejam on July 23, 2021, 10:51:37 PM
Awesome! I just ordered a bunch. Did you use these for all 4 spots (on the mother board and daughter board)? Or did you use the VTL5C3 vactrols on the mother board?

Used Diffused Green LEDs and 20M Dark LDRs for ALL positions. Motherboard and daughter board.

Quote from: Josemitejam on July 23, 2021, 11:56:55 PM
Ok I just noticed something: I swapped out a vactrol for an LED/LDR combination, the one right next to the regen bias on the motherboard, and I noticed that the LED stays at the same level of brightness no matter what knobs I turn or what trim pot I turn. This is true for both of the pedals I made. So if there's a mistake I least made it consistently!

Is the correct?

Thanks!

Joe

Yes. One of the LEDs will either be ON or OFF depending on (I believe) the position of the Time stomp. The other 3 LEDs (2 on motherboard and 1 on daughter) will pulse.

Josemitejam

Govmnt_lacky, would you be able to check out this video I made of the pedal? You can see where the static kicks in and how much. I just received my green LEDs that you recommended from tayda, so I put those in. I just want to be certain about the amount of static.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-0Irx0FHFQ

Thank you again for so much of your time!

Joe

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Josemitejam on August 09, 2021, 10:59:39 PM
Govmnt_lacky, would you be able to check out this video I made of the pedal? You can see where the static kicks in and how much. I just received my green LEDs that you recommended from tayda, so I put those in. I just want to be certain about the amount of static.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-0Irx0FHFQ

Thank you again for so much of your time!

Joe

Took a look at this... A couple of things I saw:

- You WILL get some static when the Depth pot is at MAX and when the Manual pot is set to MAX or MIN. I have seen this in all of my builds to date. The only way that I can think of to mitigate this would be to replace the 120K resistor that is in parallel with the LED/LDR on the daughterboard with a trimmer and adjust until it disappears. The "static" is being caused because the LED is getting too bright when the Depth pot is maxed out and it is pushing the LDR too far causing the resistance to be "too close to the limits" for the BBD and CLOCK. OF course, this is just my observation and guess so, someone else may be able to clarify this. I typically keep my Manual pot at about 1 o'clock and my Depth at 3 o'clock.

- The Action and Reaction pots in your video look like they have not been properly trimmed out. If you check the build doc Sheet 9, you will see that the Regen Bias trimmer needs to be adjusted so that you will get self oscillation when these pots are turned past the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions. Also remember that these pots are CENTER ZERO controls. When they are at 12 o' clock, the effect should be off.

- PERSONAL RECOMMENDATION: I always use this unit at 9VDC. I have found that there really isn't that much gained by using 12V.