TL074 circuit recommendations

Started by aefpv, April 26, 2021, 09:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aefpv

DIYers,

I have an extra TL074 IC that I was hoping to use in a new project.  I breadboarded a EQD Plumes circuit, and it sounds great.  However, I don't think I like it enough to make it a permanent fixture amongst my expanding collection. 

With that in mind, I have searched for other circuits that would use the TL074 IC, but I have not found much.  I found the Boss OD-1, but do you all have any other suggestions?  Suggestions do not have to be limited to any particular pedal type, like overdrive. 

Thanks again!
AE

FiveseveN

The TL074 contains two TL072s (or four TL071s). So you can build any project that requires from 1 to 4 op amps, which is a vast number of options.
But like half of them are Tube Screamer variants, so if you didn't love the Plumes you might narrow it down by avoiding them. Or perhaps you just haven't found the right Tube Screamer ;D.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

BJM

A good chip to make a buffered splitter/mixer to run effects in parallel  :)

antonis

A 2 band fully parametric EQ, perhaps..

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

merlinb

Or a 2-opamp circuit, but make it stereo!  :icon_mrgreen:

iainpunk

Blues Breaker circuit uses 2, as do most overdrives, just throw 2 different circuits in a single box, this gives you way more flexible drive tones!

another option to add to an overdrive is something like a ControFuzz also uses 2 opamps, which is a vintage nasty brash fuzz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuQ4ouRPeAY
read description as well.

this is a dual FX-loop/mix with controls for both loop volumes and clean volume,

its more of a ''good utility'' than a ''fun toy'' kind of pedal, but its a great thing to have in the arsenal if you want to mix stuff parallel.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Invertiguy

Quote from: iainpunk on April 27, 2021, 08:14:01 AM
Blues Breaker circuit uses 2, as do most overdrives, just throw 2 different circuits in a single box, this gives you way more flexible drive tones!

So basically a one-chip KOT? There's a fun little project!

iainpunk

i was more aiming towards a blues breaker being pushed by something more mid-focused like a Tube Screamer, but yeah, a KOT is also 2 BB's in a single box

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

GGBB

PAiA Gator uses two TL072 (as well as LM308 and LM3080).

• SUPPORTER

garcho

Could be a good excuse to learn more about fundamental building blocks with op amps, maybe build something based on stuff in here, from Texas Instruments:

Handbook of Operational Amplifiers
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"