Gorva switches and enclosures?

Started by stallik, April 27, 2021, 03:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck_arse

urk. they look like they were made from old melted chocolates.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

mozz

Just got my LMS easy switches today. Seem nice. I just have to remember where i use them, or start swapping out switches on the board build.

• SUPPORTER

davent

Quote from: duck_arse on May 01, 2021, 11:41:34 AM
urk...

I'd think of that as an appropriate comment on most 'bling', urk & also why?
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

iainpunk

Quote from: duck_arse on May 01, 2021, 11:41:34 AM
urk. they look like they were made from old melted chocolates.
the bottom ones look like Magic Truffles... haha

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Groovenut

I ordered a bunch of the switches from Gorva direct a few months ago. They're nicely constructed and have about half the actuating force (estimate on my part) of the usual suspects. I did find them too bouncy/noisy for my true bypass applications and have migrated them to my control voltage switching where I need a mechanical latch. YMMV.

The Gorva enclosures are beautiful and a nice change from the standard Hammond based lot. I have not yet had one in hand to check internal dimensions compared to the standard 125B
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

anotherjim

I see Bitsbox are also supplying those Gorva switches now.

BJM

mc50

Sorry to resurrect this old-ish thread, but by its nature it needs replies after a while, I think - since it takes a while to see how the switches perform. I've got a Gorva switch that has become intermittent. I've built the pedal a few months ago (3, 4 maybe), and sometimes when I switch it on the signal is very faint (if I turn the amp way up it still sounds like the pedal, just very very faintly).

Turning it off and on again (yes, I know :)) fixes it every time, then at some other random moment it happens again. It happens fairly rarely, I've played the pedal for about a week before it happened once, but it's a classic faulty 3PDT symptom.

Long story short, the soft click's not enough of a selling point for me to pay the asking price for these. I'll just stick with the regular ones from now on.

As always, it's possible that I'm the only unlucky person in the world with a Gorva switch, so who knows. Once bitten, twice shy though.

stallik

I don't think it's just you. I've had one of my Gorva switches go silent on me once or twice though it's behaving ok at the moment. Difficult to say how this relates to the old switches as I chose to replace the switches in my favourite pedals and so they get stomped on much much more than the others.

I need much longer before I decide one way or the other but, for me, less stomp noise can be critical. With headphones on, late at night, wife asleep, foot on monitor, gurning  like my fave player, the last thing I want is to wake her  :icon_redface:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

mozz

Have you tired blasting contact cleaner in there. I don't know if from the top or bottom would be better.
  • SUPPORTER

mc50

Quote from: mozz on September 12, 2021, 04:01:10 PM
Have you tired blasting contact cleaner in there. I don't know if from the top or bottom would be better.

I have not (in case the question is addressed to me). To be honest, I don't think it's OK for a supposedly high-reliability, relatively expensive switch to need any such intervention after a rather short period of time.

I'll just replace that switch these days.