Momentary switch help?

Started by Kevin.Ian.Common, April 30, 2021, 06:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin.Ian.Common

Hello!

I have a dual effect pedal. The first effect is on a momentary 3PDT switch.

My question is:

I have bought 3 different types of momentary switches but every time I wire it up, the effect is ON and when I step on the momentary switch, it turns the effect OFF--the complete opposite of what I want to have happen.

The ideal option is to have the momentary be OFF and when I step, the effect turns ON.

Any idea as to what the problem could be? Is there a better way I'm missing?

This is the wiring diagram I'm using.

iainpunk

literally rotate the switch 180 degrees, while keeping the wiring the same.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Kevin.Ian.Common

Quote from: iainpunk on April 30, 2021, 07:29:34 PM
literally rotate the switch 180 degrees, while keeping the wiring the same.

cheers, Iain

Okay.

Lets say I'm REALLY stupid (ask my wife, she will chuckle). Do I rotate the lugs numbers 180 degrees and wire it as such?

Is there a way to know which way is "up" with a foot switch?

Holy crap I'm really sorry

GibsonGM

Make a mark on it w/a ballpoint pen, then rotate 180.  :)   You're not stupid, you just haven't done this before! 

( FYI, The FLATS on a footswitch should go like  _ _ _  ,   left to right.  Not  "  | | | ", that would be flipped 90 degrees )
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Gargaman

The best way to tell which side is on, I guess, it's using the multimeter, if you have one.

"My profile pic was stolen!"

duck_arse

DON'T get caught - use the multimeter to find common and normally open connections. don't just rotate it, measure it. the standard form for MOMENTARY push switches is to have common on one end, followed by normally OPEN in the middle and normally CLOSED on the other outer end. as to whether "stompswitches" are following standard forms, well, check the datasheet for your brand of switch [I couldn't find the relevant info via tayda parts pages], and then use the meter anyway.
don't make me draw another line.