Ghost Echo hiss/noise

Started by crispybacon501, May 03, 2021, 09:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crispybacon501

Hi I have recently built a clone of the Earthquaker devices Ghost Echo pedal from schematics posted online.
When the reverb mix is dialled all the way down its very quiet but with the reverb mixed into the sound the hiss/noise is to my ears just not acceptable. Has anyone else noticed this? It's not overwhelmingly loud  but if it were me who manufactured the pedal I would not let it be sold to the public with that hiss. I don't have the actual pedal to compare to and can only assume it does not suffer from the same issue but would like to hear from anyone has has? I have compared most of the schematics I could find online and there are only subtle component value differences that I have already tried to no avail. Any help/advice is appreciated.

B

Govmnt_Lacky

Welcome!

I suggest you read through this link and repost with your findings. You will receive much more assistance this way.

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

ElectricDruid

A quick check on Google suggests it's based on PT2399s, lots of 'em (some in the Belton brick). So I'm not surprised if it hisses a bit. If Earthquaker let it go out of the door like that, that's only because there wasn't anything they could fundamentally do about it - like redesign the PT2399.

percyhornickel

Some tips:

Try not to use ceramic CAPS. (Worked good for me)

Try 5532 IC instead TL072. (Low noise Dual Opamp)

Use short cables.

Pray and ask for a noisless PT2399.

Saludos

P.H.

P.H.

crispybacon501

Guys thanks for the replies/advice. I noticed a difference when changing to a better quality isolated power supply but there is still a bit of hiss which I guess could be attributed to the PT2399s in the brick and the circuit. I'll continue to investigate and post if I discover any improvements.

Cheers

ElectricDruid

By the way, CrispyBacon...a belated Welcome! I only notice now that we were replying to your first post. Many apologies, and please don't think us rude. :)

crispybacon501

Thanks Electric druid absolutely no need for apologies  :D