And diy obne dark star etc. alternatives or pedals with nightmarish fx?

Started by Gothsome, May 07, 2021, 03:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gothsome

Hello,
i Love the weird effects of the Pedals Like the old blood noise endeavors dark star and eventide space.
Are there diy equivalents out there?
The Darm Star is still somewat affordable but not the eventide.
I Like everything in direction Spacey Ambient and chaotic.

Thank you!

Invertiguy

Well no, but actually yes!

Those reverbs are digital, so you can't clone them exactly without an actual copy of the code used in them, and depending on the processor used they may use chips that aren't exactly DIY-friendly. However, you can certainly make your own multi-mode reverb with an FV-1 by either finding the right patches online or writing your own. I'm guessing the Dark Star is FV-1 based due to it's feature set (different patches selectable via toggle switch, controls that vary in function based on patch selection) so in theory you probably could actually duplicate it with enough playing around in SpinCAD, but as I have no experience with messing with it (although I'd certainly like to give it a shot in the future) I'll leave the details on where to start to those more knowledgeable than myself. The only real advice I can give you is to read as much as you can on it and then dive in and try it out!

And if you're just looking for a nice FV-1 multi-mode reverb project that already comes with a pre-programmed EEPROM, PedalPCB has a few. I'd start there!

Gothsome

Tank you for the tip - i thought there would be custoom Chips/programming involved.
This would declare the price diffrence between the classic pedals and those.

Im not the of a Software Pedal guy - i just want one box - blug it in and enjoy the play with the instrument instdead of the play on the pc all the time.

So i hoped there would be an oldshool alternative an with not mayve a dozend pedals involved  ;D
But this time i will take a look at the fv-1 topic.

Gothsome

I have looked up the spin cad theme and it seems VERY interesting!!! :icon_biggrin:

With this you can buid with just one Dev Board multible fx types.

And you can emulate in the program your sound - jou just need a record of the vanila guitar.
I will download the programm and there is even a collection of existing Programs of other people so you could load one up and analyse the function and get a feeling.

I only have the problem that the dev board doesnt seem to be aviable in a shop in my country (Ger)..

garcho

There is also the Teensy and its audio shield. It's fast and powerful and up to date technology as well as costing less than a FV-1 dev board. There is an audio library design tool available online, which is free and makes putting something together nice and easy. There are many examples online. More work than a kit or dev board, though!

There is also the Blackaddr Teensy dev board, which is made for pedal design specifically, highly recommended!

I don't have anything against FV-1, for the record :)
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Gothsome

I have looked up both chips anf the FV-1 seems to be too old.
If i use the spin Cad designer the FX i can create orf from the demos are rather disappointing and there seems no forum anmore for the application.
There are still people programming it directly and i think i would have to learn how to program it which i am not really intersted in.
Fun fact: i found out that there is an chip used to store the FX and you could get an FV-1 based pedal and decompile it and make your own pedals based on the code of for example the dark star.

It seems similar for the Teensy that for any special fx you need to learn how to program it too.

There is a interesting Project with an raspberry p base:
https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/articles/multi-effects-guitar-pedal
He wants to make it open source so i will take a look at it when you can make your own version.

garcho

Digital = code

What you want to make is way too complicated for your skills. Try looking for some PT2399 designs instead.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Gothsome

Thank you!

I dont have problems with porogramming - im working in th IT sector, but i dont like coding as much that i would start in my free time.

Can you recommend a kit?
I have bougt an echo nightmare and it seeems nobody could help me with miy distortion problem.
All my other Pedals worked directly and atfer the actual problem i got a little dissapointed so im about to buy something like a Electro Harmonix Canyon used instead.

Invertiguy

I wouldn't call the FV-1 'old'- it's still in current use by loads of pedal builders, who have used it to great effect to make an amazing variety of sounds, and the Spin Semi forum is still reasonably active. It is true that the onboard programs are a little generic and 'meh', but that's hardly an issue since those are basically just demos. You don't actually program the chip itself- you load patches onto an external EEPROM to be read and run by the chip, and those patches can be as tame or as wacky as you want. You don't even necessarily have to create your own patches- there's plenty of places where people have shared the patches they've created if you search around a bit.

Nonetheless, and not to discourage you, but what garcho above said is quite true- programming is part and parcel to working with digital stuff, and you really can't start duplicating the effects you mentioned without getting into it at least a bit. If you're not willing to do that you may want to look into the PT2399 and Belton Bricks instead for delay and reverb. They're not nearly as flexible but you can still do some pretty cool stuff with them!

As for kits, MAS has one for their Mimir's Well pedal (https://shop.mas-effects.com/collections/diy/products/mimirs-well-partial-kit), and as mentioned before PedalPCB has several projects that come with a pre-programmed EEPROM so all you really have to do is source all the 'normal' components and solder them in place and you're done.

vigilante397

Quote from: Gothsome on May 09, 2021, 04:13:04 AM
Fun fact: i found out that there is an chip used to store the FX and you could get an FV-1 based pedal and decompile it and make your own pedals based on the code of for example the dark star.

This is correct, if there is a pedal using an FV-1 and you know your way around the hardware it is trivial to copy the .hex file from the EEPROM and re-flash it into your own EEPROM to put into clones. There is also a decompiler available for FV-1 .hex files to convert back to the SPINASM code, which is interesting if you're trying to learn how the code works.

Again this requires that the pedal you're trying to copy uses an FV-1 and not a more complicated DSP chip (which I'm certain the Eventide does, not positive about the OBNE though).

Not sure what disappointing FV-1 demos you were listening to, I've been thrilled with what I've been able to do with FV-1, it is an excellent option for reverb/delay/modulation and I don't plan to stop using it any time soon. I started on FV-1 with a couple builds from PedalPCB, they make it very easy to get started and figure out how things work.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

garcho

"Spacey ambient chaotic" is going to be a combination of FX. Hoping to find something like that which is already designed, made, tested, what you want, and in kit form is a tall order. Think in more detail about what you want, otherwise just buy something. Or just try building some random stuff (breadboard!) and see if it sparks some ideas :)
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

vigilante397

I read things like this and my brain won't let go until I know more :P I just talked to a friend that confirmed the OBNE Dark Star (and most OBNE reverb pedals) is FV-1 based, though I haven't been able to find any gutshots to verify for myself. So if you or a friend have a Dark Star then copying the EEPROM for use in your own FV-1 build would be super simple.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Gothsome

Quote from: vigilante397 on May 10, 2021, 11:14:45 AM
I read things like this and my brain won't let go until I know more :P I just talked to a friend that confirmed the OBNE Dark Star (and most OBNE reverb pedals) is FV-1 based, though I haven't been able to find any gutshots to verify for myself. So if you or a friend have a Dark Star then copying the EEPROM for use in your own FV-1 build would be super simple.

Found out that you could decompile existing eproms, but not every FV-1 Board has a socketed eprom.
I have seen a Video where a guy hat a pedal with two eprom, bu the second was boring so he took en eprom from another manufacurer and replaced the unwanted second.

vigilante397

Quote from: Gothsome on May 10, 2021, 11:20:35 AM
Found out that you could decompile existing eproms, but not every FV-1 Board has a socketed eprom.
I have seen a Video where a guy hat a pedal with two eprom, bu the second was boring so he took en eprom from another manufacurer and replaced the unwanted second.

It's true, I use SMD EEPROMS in some of my pedals and leave a programming header on the board so you either have to figure out which pin goes where (not that difficult for hardware savvy people), remove the EEPROM (not hard if you have a hot air soldering station), or hack the hardware and install your own interface (definitely the hardest option, but not impossible if you're really determined). Based on what I've seen of other OBNE pedals it looks like they generally use socketed EEPROMs though.

Obviously the alternative is if there is no EEPROM period, so they're using the FV-1's internal effects (like the EQD Rainbow Machine). Makes it a little harder to figure out what they're doing, but still far from impossible.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com