Strat pot values and fuzz/overdrive

Started by m7b52000, May 08, 2021, 07:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m7b52000

I have a Strat with, presumably, a 250k audio taper vol pot. I really only use the vol pot to clean up fuzz face / overdrive pedals rather than as a "volume" control. All of this action occurs between 10 and 7 on the volume pot. Can I expand this range by installing a reverse log pot or have I got the wrong end of the stick completely?

thanks

Keppy

I think a linear pot is what you're after. Reverse log would just put all the action at the other end. Try swapping the outside wires on your current pot to see what I mean. You'll have a reverse log pot where 1 is all the way up and 10 is all the way down.
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

WoundUp

Reverse log pots only reverse the taper of the pot, not how it operates so swapping leads wouldn't really do anything would it?

A reverse log would still, have 1 & 10 where they always are, it just, changes the graph of how the signal comes in. More at first and little at the end. I'd think reversing how the pot operates would screw up any attempt to determine how it aounds

mc50

Some people have also reported that adding a treble bleed circuit consisting of a cap and resistor in parallel modifies the taper of the volume pot along those lines, but maybe that's too much for your purposes.

FWIW, I really like how my Les Paul Junior with 50s wiring behaves, in general but also with fuzz. I prefer it to treble bleed circuits. Maybe look into that.

iainpunk

i was made aware of a simple bass cut circuit by PinkJimmiPhoton, and its really nice to lower some of the low end, making pedals lower gain, and more ''focused''.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers