Reliable source for CH341A USB controller chip?

Started by KarenColumbo, May 04, 2021, 12:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarenColumbo

I want to build me one of pedalpcb's "DevBoards" (https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/fv1dev/) for the FV-1. I have Spinsemi's dev board, but it's a bit of a drag to always swap out the EEPROM from the actual stompbox to load it on the dev board then plug it back in again. A lot of work if I just change a line of code and wanna check out if it works ... with the DEVBoard stompbox I just re-up the code directly to the pedal and can test it immediately.

So I ordered a couple of the PCBs, I have a handful of FV-1s, but sadly the USB chip itself, a CH341A seems to be in very short supply, there's only a shit ton of already soldered ones in varying packages. And I anhor desoldering such a tiny thing.

Now I went against my principles and ordered a couple @ Alibaba, but this is not my idea of a serious source. It may well be and I may well do someone injustice, but there you go ...

RS Components, Mouser, Big C, all the usual suspects don't have this one listed.

I also can't seem to Google up direct replacements.

Any idea how to get some of those CH341As?
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

vigilante397

Following because I'm also interested. I built one of their dev boards a while back when they have the CH341A in stock so they included one, but I'd love to get some more for other experiments.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

vigilante397

Quick update, I looked around a bit more and it looks like CH341A is exclusively a Chinese chip, which explains why typical reputable suppliers don't carry them. I found some on Aliexpress and ordered 10 for $12.70 total shipped. ETA is about 3 weeks, but we'll see what happens.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

KarenColumbo

Quote from: vigilante397 on May 04, 2021, 02:14:07 PM
Quick update, I looked around a bit more and it looks like CH341A is exclusively a Chinese chip, which explains why typical reputable suppliers don't carry them. I found some on Aliexpress and ordered 10 for $12.70 total shipped. ETA is about 3 weeks, but we'll see what happens.
Exactly what I did :) Let's see :)
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

KarenColumbo

• SUPPORTER

vigilante397

Mine were marked as shipped a while ago, but it was shipped with "aliexpress standard shipping" which provides pretty much no tracking info. Apparently I won't know anything until it hits US customs, which it hasn't yet. Estimated delivery is June 15.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

KarenColumbo

I recently bought a few of those on Amazon - they have the CH341A conveniently soldered on top. If all else fails I'll buy some of that low temperature solder and remove it carefully.

• SUPPORTER

vigilante397

Quote from: KarenColumbo on May 18, 2021, 08:31:53 AM
I recently bought a few of those on Amazon - they have the CH341A conveniently soldered on top. If all else fails I'll buy some of that low temperature solder and remove it carefully.

I thought about doing that, I have one of those as well. Currently for most of my FV-1 designs I use an SMD EEPROM and add programming headers to the board, then I use male-female breadboard jumpers and connect the "CH341A Pro" from amazon to the headers. It works fine, but it would be nice to be able to do a more custom setup.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

KarenColumbo

I just like the idea to be able to tweak the patches "live" without having to open the stompbox up, pull the PROM etc. Just connect a USB cable to it, upload the patch to SpinASM, tweak it, re-up it to the box and all that without ever having to put away the guitar or unplug the box from the amp
  • SUPPORTER

KarenColumbo

Got'em today - conveniently the Pedal PCB board was in the post box, too.
If there's trouble with your delivery, I can always send a few of the chips over there
  • SUPPORTER

vigilante397

Quote from: KarenColumbo on May 23, 2021, 01:38:48 AM
Got'em today - conveniently the Pedal PCB board was in the post box, too.
If there's trouble with your delivery, I can always send a few of the chips over there

Excellent, glad you were able to get yours fairly quickly. I'm sure mine will show eventually, but I appreciate the offer. I don't have any urgent need for it right now, but I'll let you know.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com