accu-bell effector module stompbox circuits?

Started by strungout, May 11, 2021, 04:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strungout

Hey.

I thought this would belong here.

A while ago I bought an ABE-01 Ver.1 module from Small Bear. I have no idea why I did, I know nothing about dsp and very little about programming, but I just now decided to try out the test circuit in the datasheet: https://www.amplifiedparts.com/sites/default/files/associated_files/p-r-abe.pdf

It sounds pretty good! I only have the demo effects (Plate Reverb, Echo, Chorus). All I did so far is add a cap at the circuit Input, put a Blend pot to get proper effects (from the ABE module In to the circuit Output, before the cap I added there). With a switch I can defeat the Blend pot and get vibrato. Cool. I'm happy with that.

My questions are: has anyone played with it? What are your experiences with it? I'm looking for additions to the circuit, ideas... And, is it very complicated to program chips like the CoolAudio V1000? I must admit I'm lost, here. But if I could, I would add the phaser and flanger options. The only programming I've done is QBasic, HTML and some scripts to make weapons in a game...

I'll use it with my bass amp.

Anyway, it's just that my searches didn't bring up much... What language is the programming in? Where do I start?

Any help appreciated.

Frank
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

ElectricDruid

The key phrase on the Coolaudio page about the chip is "Functionally compatible to AL3201". The AL3201 is an earlier Alesis chip which (unsurprisingly, given Keith Barr's probable involvement) looks a lot like the FV-1.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1610664/Alesis-Al3201.html

Exactly how you'd get set up to code it, I don't know, but there's some good stuff over on the other forum about it:

Blasphemous link here

strungout

Thanks for the info Tom, that will get me started :D

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

Ice-9

Rick aka 'Frequency Central' started to stock these modules, I think there was a thread on here about them but I can't find it at the moment. Maybe Rick could chime in with some info, his website is

https://frequencycentral.co.uk/product/belton-abe/

www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Vivek

Quote from: strungout on May 11, 2021, 04:49:17 PM

A while ago I bought an ABE-01 Ver.1 module from Small Bear.
Frank

This is a candidate for a project we are working on.

How is its noise and distortion ?

Is it possible to post soundclouds of Youtube ?

Thanks !!!

strungout

Mick: We'll see if Rick pops in. I can always email him at FC.

Vivek: I've only built the example test circuit (only one ouput, added  a 100k to Vref at the input, input/output caps, and that resistor from Vcc to Vdd is 10 Ohms), but it sounds very clean. There is a high-pitched whistling noise, though, it follows the LFO. It sit really low in the mix and is more apparent with the tone turn up. It needs some filtering.

One of the chips gets kinda hot, the V4220M. Maybe cause I didn't build the second output and left the pin hanging? I'll jsut build it and see...

vigilante397

Rick created a project around the module, Stasis Leak: https://frequencycentral.co.uk/product/pedal-stasis-leak/ I have a module and a PCB lying around from whenever it was released, never got around to building it :P
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

strungout

Nathan: Thanks for the link. I'll breadboard that version.

So, I found a thread that meantioned it has a tag-connector pad (has a bullet outline on the board) for a TC2030-MCP-NL cable. This thread here also mentions it: https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=123083.0. Now, why I didn't find this one first... This is the one you were talking about, Mick?

I found one such cable that connects to usb. It's 65$ though.

The chip still heats up.

EDIT: I built the Stasis Leak. It sounds good. Silent. But there's a bit of distortion (for me, using JB's). The chip only gets warm in Rick's circuit. The Output sections are mixed together passively, along with the dry signal. I do want two Outputs, though. So I can mess around with two amps, placement, orientation and stuff... and maybe get some ping-pong panning going on...  :icon_biggrin:

ElectricDruid

That Stasis Leak differential amp design is the weirdest thing I've seen in ages. I wonder where Rick found that.

The typical single op-amp diff amp design has it's faults (unequal impedances, primarily) but that one's just odd!

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Ice-9

Quote from: strungout on May 12, 2021, 05:57:00 PM
Nathan: Thanks for the link. I'll breadboard that version.

So, I found a thread that meantioned it has a tag-connector pad (has a bullet outline on the board) for a TC2030-MCP-NL cable. This thread here also mentions it: https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=123083.0. Now, why I didn't find this one first... This is the one you were talking about, Mick?

Aye Frank, That was the thread I was talking about.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

strungout

Ok, so, here what I ended up with:

Rick's Stasis Leak with two outs. I think this gives me stereo outs... Did I get it right? I tried it on two bass amps and it sound pretty good!

I'm in love with the 'plate reverb' at max decay... It. Is. Awesome!

I think programming this thing is beyond me. I just wanted flanger and phaser added to the module, but I can live without. IT's above my pay-grade for now.