Voltage reference opamp

Started by fryingpan, May 26, 2021, 06:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fryingpan

Are there any cheap, yet relatively low-noise, low drift parts that can be used to buffer a voltage reference? I don't need "precision instrumentation" stability but of course, what's the best bang-for-buck part?

amptramp

If you are using a single op amp anywhere, change it to a dual and use the second half as a buffer.  Be sure to isolate any outputs from each other if you are using multiple outputs so you don't get feedback through Vref.  The op amp output usually cannot handle capacitance to ground so use an R-C filter if you need one.

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

fryingpan

Quote from: amptramp on May 26, 2021, 06:32:14 AM
If you are using a single op amp anywhere, change it to a dual and use the second half as a buffer.  Be sure to isolate any outputs from each other if you are using multiple outputs so you don't get feedback through Vref.  The op amp output usually cannot handle capacitance to ground so use an R-C filter if you need one.
The thing is that I'm out of free opamps in my preamp :icon_razz: so I might as well select a part for the job.

antonis

Quote from: fryingpan on May 26, 2021, 06:44:03 AM
The thing is that I'm out of free opamps in my preamp :icon_razz: so I might as well select a part for the job.

For high presicion (not ultimate) you can use a 5.6 V Zener diode (due to almost negligible temperature voltage variation)  as voltage reference on non-inverting pin of a general purpose op-amp..
Depending on actual Vref, you can implement a pot between Zener & op-amp unity gain buffer input (for lower than 5.6V needed) or a pot between out & inverting input (for Vref higher than 5.6V)

A combination of the above should be a nasty overkill..
(although strongly recommended..) :icon_redface:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

antonis

Quote from: Rob Strand on May 26, 2021, 07:28:21 AM
actually it depends how you are defining precision

In comparison with a current consuming (due to low value resistors) voltage divider.. :icon_biggrin:

On the other hand, I'm not sure about Zener's superiority in relation to metal-film resistors temperature stability.. :icon_wink:

antonis

@fryingpan: Get yourself a Weston cell and earn peace of mind.. :icon_wink:

diffeq

amz-fx

There is a good reference on virtual ground circuits at:

https://tangentsoft.net/elec/vgrounds.html

Best regards, Jack

fryingpan

What about a TLE2021? It has low offset, low drift drift, lowish noise and it's not the cheapest, but still quite cheap.

The application is for the circuit described at the bottom of this page:

http://www.lynx.net/~jc/transferCurvature-TubeSimulation.html

ElectricDruid

LT1013 is a good low offset low drift op-amp that gets widely used in the synth world for control voltage (CV) processing. If you've got a 1V/oct pitch CV, that's only 83.33mV per semitone, and humans can hear (roughly) a variation of 6 cents, which means anything over a few mV of error is unacceptable (5mV is definitely audible).
It's not too expensive either.

Rob Strand

QuoteWhat about a TLE2021? It has low offset, low drift drift, lowish noise and it's not the cheapest, but still quite cheap.

The application is for the circuit described at the bottom of this page:

http://www.lynx.net/~jc/transferCurvature-TubeSimulation.html

For that circuit, noise OK, but drift?     TL07x would do it.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.