My phase 90 clone isn't working

Started by snow123, June 03, 2021, 05:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Quote from: andy-h-h on June 14, 2021, 12:01:24 AM
Quote from: snow123 on June 13, 2021, 11:09:11 PM
tbh i think ill redo the circuit on a new veroboard, but this time 1 step at a time. and how would i do it one step at a time? like would i do the all of the jumper wires and the offboard wiring and then the stuff for the input buffer or what?

Before you tackle this again, try some simpler circuits to get your soldering skills up, and your understanding of schematics / how things work.

This....This is a fairly complex circuit on Vero for a novice. I didn't see any mention of your JFets, are they matched?

snow123

Quote from: jimilee on June 14, 2021, 09:50:07 PM
tbh i think ill redo the circuit on a new veroboard, but this time 1 step at a time. and how would i do it one step at a time? like would i do the all of the jumper wires and the offboard wiring and then the stuff for the input buffer or what?

Before you tackle this again, try some simpler circuits to get your soldering skills up, and your understanding of schematics / how things work.

This....This is a fairly complex circuit on Vero for a novice. I didn't see any mention of your JFets, are they matched?

i think so yea

snow123

ok, im building a bluesbreaker pedal rn, and ive already built a buffer.

snow123

but how exactly would i do the circuit 1 stage at a time?

andy-h-h

Quote from: snow123 on June 15, 2021, 05:07:17 PM

First look at the schematic, and compare it to the layout that you are using.  Map out the parts in your head, or write them down on top of a print out of the layout, maybe highlight sections.

A bluesbreaker is pretty simple.  Things to do;

- check that you have 9v to pin 8, and 0v on pin 4 of the opamp

- make sure you have vref, which is half the supply voltage.  (look for the point where 2 x 47k resistors join, on the schem / layout)

- build the first section, make sure you have level coming in on pin 3, and level out on pin 1.  You should also have level from the 220n cap.

- build the second section, check that you have level coming in on pin 6 and out off pin 7 of the opamp

- the rest is just some passive filtering and the volume control

snow123

Quote from: andy-h-h on June 15, 2021, 05:49:15 PM
Quote from: snow123 on June 15, 2021, 05:07:17 PM

First look at the schematic, and compare it to the layout that you are using.  Map out the parts in your head, or write them down on top of a print out of the layout, maybe highlight sections.

A bluesbreaker is pretty simple.  Things to do;

- check that you have 9v to pin 8, and 0v on pin 4 of the opamp

- make sure you have vref, which is half the supply voltage.  (look for the point where 2 x 47k resistors join, on the schem / layout)

- build the first section, make sure you have level coming in on pin 3, and level out on pin 1.  You should also have level from the 220n cap.

- build the second section, check that you have level coming in on pin 6 and out off pin 7 of the opamp

- the rest is just some passive filtering and the volume control

how do i check if the signal is going through without doing any offboard wiring?

andy-h-h

you need to use an audio probe, which I think you have

snow123

Quote from: andy-h-h on June 16, 2021, 12:42:41 AM
you need to use an audio probe, which I think you have

how do i power the circuit if i just have the input buffer done tho

andy-h-h

You have to have the power portion of the circuit on the board, including the voltage divider for vref. 

ElectricDruid

Quote from: andy-h-h on June 16, 2021, 01:17:22 AM
You have to have the power portion of the circuit on the board, including the voltage divider for vref.

The power supply and Vref is probably the very first bit to get done, because then you can check you've got 9V to the PCB, and can check you've got a sensible 4.5V Vref. If that alters later on, then you know you've made a mistake somewhere (shorts will often drag these voltages down lower than they should be).

snow123

do i also have to connect the circuit to ground and/or the switch? or just the 9v and input?

antonis

Excuse me but what are you talking about..??  :o
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: antonis on June 16, 2021, 04:03:03 PM
My thoughts exactly.

I thought you knew how to use an audio probe? Didn't we go over this in your other build thread?
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

ElectricDruid

Quote from: snow123 on June 16, 2021, 03:46:29 PM
do i also have to connect the circuit to ground and/or the switch? or just the 9v and input?

You need +9V and ground connected for the power, and the input and output both need the signal wire and the ground connected too. All voltages are relative to some other level. That's usually ground, but it doesn't have to be - witness the "Vref" or "virtual ground" we often have in stompbox circuits, where the voltage is referenced to a 4.5V level.
I'd leave the footswitch out until you've got the board running.

snow123

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on June 16, 2021, 04:14:40 PM
Quote from: antonis on June 16, 2021, 04:03:03 PM
My thoughts exactly.

I thought you knew how to use an audio probe? Didn't we go over this in your other build thread?

i know how to use an audio probe, im just asking if i have to connect the circuit to ground and/or the switch to test the power and input buffer stage. or if the probe already ground the circuit or something. just making sure im doing everything right.

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: snow123 on June 16, 2021, 04:44:20 PM
i know how to use an audio probe, im just asking if i have to connect the circuit to ground and/or the switch to test the power and input buffer stage. or if the probe already ground the circuit or something. just making sure im doing everything right.
Oh okay.
As long as the switch is just a bypass switch you can do with or without it when it comes to probing a circuit - as long as you've got signal on the circuit's input. You will need the input plugged in or else you wouldn't have a signal to track with the probe. The circuit does need to be powered with your 9v(with ground). I mean, I'm sure it'll work via your amplifier's ground through the probe but that's not how it should be. You must properly power your circuit for it to function as intended. Improper ground could lead to odd behavior and wonky readings. Mostly noise issues.

Plug in the circuit just as you should - minus the output since you're using an audio probe instead of it's main output.
Make sure the probe's ground is connected to your circuit's ground.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

snow123

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on June 16, 2021, 05:04:52 PM
Quote from: snow123 on June 16, 2021, 04:44:20 PM
Oh okay.
As long as the switch is just a bypass switch you can do with or without it when it comes to probing a circuit - as long as you've got signal on the circuit's input. You will need the input plugged in or else you wouldn't have a signal to track with the probe. The circuit does need to be powered with your 9v(with ground). I mean, I'm sure it'll work via your amplifier's ground through the probe but that's not how it should be. You must properly power your circuit for it to function as intended. Improper ground could lead to odd behavior and wonky readings. Mostly noise issues.

Plug in the circuit just as you should - minus the output since you're using an audio probe instead of it's main output.
Make sure the probe's ground is connected to your circuit's ground.

ok, thanks.

andy-h-h

I'm confused - didn't you say that it's now working in this thread, before these recent posts?   

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=127366.0

GGBB

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on June 16, 2021, 05:04:52 PM
As long as the switch is just a bypass switch you can do with or without it when it comes to probing a circuit - as long as you've got signal on the circuit's input.

In most true bypass pedals, bypass mode will ground the circuit's input. So you can't do without the bypass switch - the pedal must be engaged not bypassed.
  • SUPPORTER

snow123

Quote from: andy-h-h on June 16, 2021, 06:24:34 PM
I'm confused - didn't you say that it's now working in this thread, before these recent posts?   

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=127366.0

i was building a bluesbreaker pedal, and i had a minor issue with it, and fixed it.