My phase 90 clone isn't working

Started by snow123, June 03, 2021, 05:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snow123

Quote from: antonis on July 06, 2021, 05:40:05 PM
Quote from: snow123 on July 06, 2021, 05:22:25 PM
ok, im pretty sure i fixed all of the shorts and im still getting a dry signal when i turn the pedal on..

In such a case we are pretty sure you have to consult an exorcist..

yea i honestly have no clue what the issue is

snow123

uhhhh im an idiot... it turns out i was missing the 150k resistor thats below q4, but now when i turn it on im getting more of a swooshy univibe or small stone effect but only when the speed knob is on low, and the trimpot maxed out.

snow123

so now i do have a phaser effect, but not the big swooshy phase 90 effect, y'know?

snow123

i guess what im trying to say is that it doesnt swell in and out of phase it just goes instantly out and back into phase, kinda like a univibe.

snow123

im thinking it could be an issue with the biasing, the phase shifting stage, or the LFO.

snow123

theres also no signal when the speed pot is all the way down.

bluebunny

Quote from: snow123 on July 06, 2021, 05:22:25 PM
ok, im pretty sure i fixed all of the shorts . . .

I feel Kevin's frustration.  How are you "pretty sure"?  Why not choose to be "absolutely certain" by doing the checks he suggests?
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

antonis

So, let's recap some standards..

Quote from: snow123 on June 09, 2021, 06:21:54 PM
wait im an idiot
Quote from: snow123 on June 26, 2021, 08:04:50 PM
wait im an idiot.
Quote from: snow123 on July 06, 2021, 06:17:27 PM
uhhhh im an idiot...

Have we any self-reflection progress..??  :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Kevin Mitchell

I'm happy to hear you have found the error near Q4. I hope the voltages you had shared raised some suspicion about that area as Q4 wasn't quite on par with the others (Q1, Q2 & Q3).

Quote from: snow123 on July 06, 2021, 07:00:57 PM
it doesnt swell in and out of phase it just goes instantly out and back into phase, kinda like a univibe.
I'm not sure what your interpretation of a Uni Vibe is but it's also a phaser with a similar LFO shape - it's a sine wave feeding a light bulb which results in a modified triangle wave kind of phasing due to the bulb's filament taking more time to dim than it does to turn on.

Here's a photo of some basic LFO shapes - just so you have that knowledge under your belt.

Needless to say, your LFO is oscillating but not as expected. Soooooooo check the LFO section for errors. We can promise you they exist.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

duck_arse

well now I'm an idiot. the photo I've been looking at shows a 150k below Q4 [I think], but is missing a 22k next to Q4 [I think]. trouble is, I can't get a decent look at the board around Q4, where you have a bad voltage, and have to piece the scene together, forensics style.

please post a clear photo of the area around Q4.
don't make me draw another line.

snow123

Quote from: antonis on July 07, 2021, 06:24:54 AM
So, let's recap some standards..

Quote from: snow123 on June 09, 2021, 06:21:54 PM
wait im an idiot
Quote from: snow123 on June 26, 2021, 08:04:50 PM
wait im an idiot.
Quote from: snow123 on July 06, 2021, 06:17:27 PM
uhhhh im an idiot...

Have we any self-reflection progress..??  :icon_wink:

i mean ive realized that most of the issues are caused by me being a blind idiot so ive been checking if im missing certain components and solder joints more often! lol

snow123

i just realized im missing this 22k

snow123

Quote from: snow123 on July 07, 2021, 04:46:25 PM
i just realized im missing this 22k

ok, i just fixed that, and its more like a small stone (kinda) but not like a phase 90. like its not a full sweep.

snow123

the effect itself is still super quiet tho. and the signal doesnt go out when i turn the trimpot or speed pot down!

snow123

and q4s voltages are normal now!

snow123

i have no clue what the issue is now

snow123

i replaced the 4k7 resistor and now the effect is a tiny bit louder. and i legit have 0 clue what the issue is now.

Kevin Mitchell

Guys, my car is broken and runs like a Ferrari.

Quote from: snow123 on July 07, 2021, 08:17:26 PM
Fix. Your. Shorts.

Quote from: snow123 on July 07, 2021, 11:02:47 PM
i replaced the 4k7 resistor and now the effect is a tiny bit louder. and i legit have 0 clue what the issue is now.
Doubtful. Stop blindly replacing parts.
You're borderline trolling by not following up on reasonable advice. It's maddening.
You can tell me you did a continuity test on every isolated track and I wouldn't believe you as I've asked you to do this serveral times and never got an appropriate response. No "hey I found it!" just doing your own thing and reporting back.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

duck_arse

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on July 08, 2021, 08:03:11 AM
Guys, my car is broken and runs like a Ferrari.

Quote from: snow123 on July 07, 2021, 08:17:26 PM
Fix. Your. Shorts.

Quote from: snow123 on July 07, 2021, 11:02:47 PM
Doubtful. Stop blindly replacing parts.
You're borderline trolling by not following up on reasonable advice. It's maddening.
You can tell me you did a continuity test on every isolated track and I wouldn't believe you as I've asked you to do this serveral times and never got an appropriate response. No "hey I found it!" just doing your own thing and reporting back.

"First there is a mountain,
Then there is no mountain, then there is."
don't make me draw another line.

Govmnt_Lacky

This thread reminds me of my teenage daughter texting me.

Start text:
Dad...
End text:

Start text:
I need...
End text:

Start text:
money...
End text:

Start text:
Can you please...
End text:

Start text:
Send me some?
End text:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'