Quote from: duck_arse on July 08, 2021, 10:43:30 AM
"First there is a mountain,
Then there is no mountain, then there is."
"Oh, the snow will be a blinding sight to see as it lies on yonder hillside"

One of a few Donavan songs I know.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

snow123

somehow there arent any shorts (according to my multimeter)

snow123

is there supposed to be continuity in between these areas? (the 1m resistor at the input of the circuit)

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: snow123 on July 08, 2021, 02:40:11 PM
is there supposed to be continuity in between these areas? (the 1m resistor at the input of the circuit)

No. That's the input resistor and helps prevent pops when you engage the pedal. If those tracks were shorted that would also mean your input is shorted to ground. Which means no input. Which means no guitar signal.

You are doing a continuity test, right? The meter beeps when you touch the two probes together?
  • SUPPORTER

snow123

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on July 08, 2021, 02:57:29 PM
Quote from: snow123 on July 08, 2021, 02:40:11 PM

No. That's the input resistor and helps prevent pops when you engage the pedal. If those tracks were shorted that would also mean your input is shorted to ground. Which means no input. Which means no guitar signal.

You are doing a continuity test, right? The meter beeps when you touch the two probes together?

yes

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: snow123 on July 08, 2021, 03:17:04 PM
yes
The only place where it should show continuity is where you had to solder a jumper. You have many solder joints that are very close together on adjacent tracks. Make sure they don't have continuity unless they are on the same uncut track or intentionally shorted together by a jumper.

Once you find it (from the last photos, I can promise they exist, or did), use your soldering iron to wick/break the shorted connection while trying to not make it worse. Glide the tip between the tracks as you did with the screwdriver.
  • SUPPORTER

snow123

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on July 08, 2021, 03:32:31 PM
yes
The only place where it should show continuity is where you had to solder a jumper. You have many solder joints that are very close together on adjacent tracks. Make sure they don't have continuity unless they are on the same uncut track or intentionally shorted together by a jumper.

Once you find it (from the last photos, I can promise they exist, or did), use your soldering iron to wick/break the shorted connection while trying to not make it worse. Glide the tip between the tracks as you did with the screwdriver.

well my multimeter just broke

snow123

Quote from: snow123 on July 08, 2021, 06:10:33 PM
yes

well it only works like half the time, but here are the shorted areas that i dont know how to fix lol.

antonis

Here is (or should be  :icon_mrgreen:) 1M pull-down resistor..!!

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

bluebunny

Quote from: snow123 on July 08, 2021, 07:55:25 PM
well it only works like half the time, but here are the shorted areas that i dont know how to fix lol.

Where you've drawn two red dots and a line at the bottom, the rightmost dot is supposed to be connected to the line.  (I'm assuming your red marks are showing things that are connected.)  Since the row below where the input comes in has solder on it - and there's no connection supposed to be there - this looks like where it might be shorted.  Take your soldering iron and swipe between the tracks as Kevin has told you to make sure there's no solder bridge there.

I've not had enough coffee to look at your apparent shorts further up the board.

Not through overwork...   ::)    ;D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Kevin Mitchell

How the hell could you have been audio probing a grounded signal this whole time? Maybe it's a broken hairline trace that is now touching again?

The other red marks are obviously suppose to be shorted - they're on the same track! I said adjacent tracks, not the same track. Get rid of that bottom short by scraping out that hairline copper trace on the upper part of the hole.

Again, we can see these shorts and your meter's continuity setting can find them as well.
Sorry to break the bad news, but if you're not trolling you really need glasses my dude.
  • SUPPORTER

Phend

^ What, it is a thing of beauty. Very popular post, read 4,840 + times with 251 replies,
(A great puzzle yet to be solved !) Fun for all.
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

duck_arse

yes

were you fixing it?
don't make me draw another line.

Phend

• SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

ElectricDruid

You *still* haven't successfully cleaned out the muck from between the tracks. They're still covered in black stuff and little tiny shiny blobs of solder spatter. All that needs to go.

I know you're down to only a couple of actual shorts now, and that's *massive* progress from where we started, so things have really moved forward, but ultimately it's your technique that's letting you down. And that includes your cleaning up technique as much as your soldering technique.

More scraping!! Lots more scraping!!

antonis

Am I the only person who realized we deal with possibly shorted input right after 13 pages..??

Should we save valuable time by just going grazy right now..??
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

PRR

> Should we save valuable time by just going grazy right now..??

Way ahead of you. I've been grazed since the start.
  • SUPPORTER

snow123

ElectricDruid

There's still a lot of areas on here that show black muck, solder spatter, and possible shorts (red circles). There's also areas where you obviously have scraped between the tracks (green circles).

There's something wrong with your soldering set-up or technique. I can't identify what exactly from only a photo of the results, but there's no way you should be getting black muck and spatter everywhere. Are you using a modern cored solder? What make? what mixture? (tin/lead, lead-free, something else?) What sort of iron? how hot?

I have boards I made when I was learning to solder and they look terrible to me now. It *is* a part of the process, we learn by making mistakes, and skills are only developed by practice. So don't be disheartened about it, but *do* try and do a few experiments to see if other combinations work better for you.

By the way, on the photo Antonis posted with the resistor position marked, there's what looks like a short one hole down and two holes right of the right-hand-side leg of the resistor. Sort that out and you might have good input signal again.

snow123

I'm using leaded rosin core solde, and Here's some better pics: