My phase 90 clone isn't working

Started by snow123, June 03, 2021, 05:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snow123

And heres what the top of the board looks like

Phend

Hope you will include a warranty on this.
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Kevin Mitchell

This things has more shorts than an Old Navy in mid summer.

I'll see myself out. Best of luck, Snow. Go back and read what Tom was explaining.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

snow123

its kinda behaving like a super fuzz now

bluebunny

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on July 09, 2021, 08:25:02 PM
I'll see myself out.

Me too.  Unless and until you accept and follow the good advice given -- and abandon your haphazard approach -- you have no hope of getting anywhere.  A bunch of monkeys with typewriters may indeed eventually write Hamlet, but none of us will live that long.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

andy-h-h

What is it called when you do the same thing over and over expecting different results?    :icon_lol:

duck_arse

Quote from: andy-h-h on July 10, 2021, 07:56:31 AM
What is it called when you do the same thing over and over expecting different results?    :icon_lol:

debugging.

Quoteits kinda behaving like a super fuzz now

just as long as it doesn't start behaving like a green russian big muff.
don't make me draw another line.

snow123

Quote from: bluebunny on July 10, 2021, 06:37:21 AM
Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on July 09, 2021, 08:25:02 PM
I'll see myself out.

Me too.  Unless and until you accept and follow the good advice given -- and abandon your haphazard approach -- you have no hope of getting anywhere.  A bunch of monkeys with typewriters may indeed eventually write Hamlet, but none of us will live that long.

well im trying to fix the shorts, and if i cant find any with a multimeter or anything i give up on that part, then i look at the board and see if anything is missing or isnt soldered, then i look at the schematic and see where the signal went wrong and then see if swapping a component out would work.

snow123

and there arent any shorts according to my multimeter, and idk if i cant trust it at this point tbh.

antonis

Quote from: snow123 on July 10, 2021, 02:02:37 PM
and there arent any shorts according to my multimeter,

If so, trust your multimeter and PLEASE let us rest in peace..!! :icon_mrgreen:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

snow123

Quote from: antonis on July 10, 2021, 03:25:37 PM
Quote from: snow123 on July 10, 2021, 02:02:37 PM
and there arent any shorts according to my multimeter,

If so, trust your multimeter and PLEASE let us rest in peace..!! :icon_mrgreen:

ok, theres no shorts.

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

snow123

yea im sure there arent any shorts anywhere,

snow123

ok i just replaced the 47uf cap and that fixed the weird flubbery super fuzz type sounds i was getting, now its just a dry signal when its turned on.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: snow123 on July 06, 2021, 06:18:31 PM
so now i do have a phaser effect, but not the big swooshy phase 90 effect, y'know?

So what happened since this point? It sounded like you were pretty close to having it done, but you seem to have gone backwards. What have you done? Did you fix that short and the missing resistor that Antonis mentioned?

My advice is to *not* change anything unless you've clearly identified it as a problem. Debugging depends on having a known situation, and if you randomly change stuff, you don't have that. You don't know if the problems are in the original circuit or introduced by the changes you made.

Do an audio check through the circuit like we discussed earlier on. Check the output of the input buffer and the phase stages. Make sure you've got clean audio at all those points.

snow123

Quote from: ElectricDruid on July 11, 2021, 05:28:55 AM
Quote from: snow123 on July 06, 2021, 06:18:31 PM
so now i do have a phaser effect, but not the big swooshy phase 90 effect, y'know?

So what happened since this point? It sounded like you were pretty close to having it done, but you seem to have gone backwards. What have you done? Did you fix that short and the missing resistor that Antonis mentioned?

My advice is to *not* change anything unless you've clearly identified it as a problem. Debugging depends on having a known situation, and if you randomly change stuff, you don't have that. You don't know if the problems are in the original circuit or introduced by the changes you made.

Do an audio check through the circuit like we discussed earlier on. Check the output of the input buffer and the phase stages. Make sure you've got clean audio at all those points.

i was trying to identify and fix a bunch of potential shorts but i think i overheated the 47uf filter cap while doing that which resulted in that weird flubbery super fuzz thing, so i replaced that cap and that fixed the issue. and i did fix that missing resistor.

snow123

This is the only short in the circuit but I don't know how to fix it

snow123

and im not getting an input signal now.

snow123

Quote from: snow123 on July 11, 2021, 07:08:35 PM
This is the only short in the circuit but I don't know how to fix it

i just realized that short was toggled with the footswitch. i guess i cant confirm that there are 0 shorts now LMAO

khm9

This thread is very entertaining! :)

Why do you put so much solder? Perhaps you're using a solder wire that's too thick? And that makes it hard for you to control the amount?

I recommend using thin solder wire. I find 0.5mm to be perfect. Thin solder wire will make it much easier for you to control the amount of solder that goes on the pads.