My phase 90 clone isn't working

Started by snow123, June 03, 2021, 05:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slowpoke101

It is normal for the trimpot to have a very narrow adjustment range. It can be difficult to find the best bias point and some patience will be required to do so.

Does the Rate control now work?
  • SUPPORTER

snow123

Yep! everythings working perfectly!!

Slowpoke101

Quote from: snow123 on July 30, 2021, 03:32:15 AM
Yep! everythings working perfectly!!

Excellent  :icon_mrgreen: Well done  8) Now tidy it it up, close up the enclosure and play.

Don't forget to thank all the good people that helped you along this difficult journey..

• SUPPORTER

snow123

antonis

You're welcome.. :icon_wink:

P.S.
In improbable case of effect boxing issues, plz be our guest here..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

Quote from: snow123 on July 30, 2021, 01:19:29 AM
Quote from: Slowpoke101 on July 29, 2021, 11:59:59 PM
Measure the voltage on pin 6 of IC3. Is it changing very slowly?

The Rate pot has three terminals. Only two terminals are used, the centre terminal and the terminal to its right when looking down on the pot with the terminals towards you. How do you have it connected?

i have it exactly like that except the first leg is connected to the input jacks ground, 'cause when i didnt have it connected to ground i was very noisy.

please tell us when you did this, how many pages ago was it? and didn't anyone here mention looking for shorts? and a tip - if you randomly solder wires shorting things to ground, and the circuit in question then doesn't work - DON'T BLAME THE TRIMPOT.

I have it exactly like that.
don't make me draw another line.

Kevin Mitchell

Am I invited to the afterparty?  :icon_lol:

Snow, you don't have bad parts, you probably never did. You have bad strategy. In your efforts of replacing random parts, you've probably cleaned up shorts we've been trying oh-so hard to draw your attention to.

I'm very happy for you and the fact that you've got it working. But the folks here would be far more satisfied knowing that you've learned at least a few things from this 19 page thread of trial and error. You may not owe it to us, but you certainly owe it to yourself to list what you've learned. You've worked very hard on this!

Persistence certainly pays off. May your next build hold less tribulations.

Till next time!
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

bluebunny

19 pages?  Rob would have designed a whole project by now.  (OK, maybe 26 pages...  ;D)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Phend

I'll be damn if I will ever ever build a Phase 90 since it is this complicated.
Phase 89.5 I might try.  Maybe, at least I'll have Snow 123 to ask for help if I get shorted.
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

idy

duck_arse

jimilee

Quote from: Phend on July 30, 2021, 05:40:43 PM
I'll be damn if I will ever ever build a Phase 90 since it is this complicated.
Phase 89.5 I might try.  Maybe, at least I'll have Snow 123 to ask for help if I get shorted.

It isn't this complicated, I've built quite a few. Vero is complicated out of the gate.

snow123

its been a little bit but is there any way i could add a volume control? 'cause ive noticed when i turn it on, it boosts the volume by ALOT and it's too much sometimes, and i end up having to turn down the volume on my amp lol.

antonis

Simple way is to replace 150k resistor (the one upper right, between Output  & GND) with a pot wired as variable resistor (lug3 & wiper shorted)
(it reduces Q1 gain..)
Before implementing it, try with another 150k or so resistor in parallel with the existing 150k one to see if it pleases you.. :icon_wink:

Another way is to take-off 150k resistor, wire Volume pot lug 3 to Output, lug 1 on GND and take output from wiper..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

snow123

Quote from: antonis on August 21, 2021, 04:59:08 AM
Simple way is to replace 150k resistor (the one upper right, between Output  & GND) with a pot wired as variable resistor (lug3 & wiper shorted)
(it reduces Q1 gain..)
Before implementing it, try with another 150k or so resistor in parallel with the existing 150k one to see if it pleases you.. :icon_wink:

Another way is to take-off 150k resistor, wire Volume pot lug 3 to Output, lug 1 on GND and take output from wiper..
what type of pot would i use tho? like what value and taper would i use.

antonis

Fancy Lime

Oh.
My.
God.
I was just scrolling through the threads and saw this one. 19 pages on a phaser debug? Surely something more interesting is going on here, let's have a look! But no! It really is 19 pages of phaser debugging. This thread may be the most meaningful piece of Postmodernen art I have ever seen. And I mean that sincerely, not in the derisive way contemporary reactionary circles try to redefine the term. It is glorious! Thanks everyone for participating in this Postmodernen take on the Labors of Hercules!

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

DekkerFuzz

in 26 years of building pedals and reading forums ive never seen such a rude bunch of people, well done slowpoke for helping, the rest of you should question why your even here if all you do is poke fun at someone who is learning, this has always been a community of helpful intelligent people and its horrible to see so many rude aholes offering nothing but insults infecting the community, who could blame him for pulling out random parts when you were mostly no help, i question why some of you are even allowed to be a part of this community. If you arent going to share knowledge or help newcomers you have no business being here.

Mark Hammer

This thread is one more data-point in why I absolutely loathe using stripboard.

duck_arse

Quote..... who could blame him for pulling out random parts when you were mostly no help, i question why some of you are even allowed to be a part of this community.

having observed a large number of members at this site, I can safely say that user snow123 has an eye like a dead fish. it doesn't matter how much we sledge him, how "rude" [your term] we are in our replies, he carries on with narry a blink, never complains we are picking on him, always takes our replies with the same good-humoured outlook. you might check some of his latest posts, DekkerFuzz, see how badly our behaviour has marked him.

and while I have you here reading this, tell me - if I come to you and ask for your help with some or other problem, and you provide plenty and good advise, and I then demonstrate that I've completely ignored all you have said and continued blindly on my original path, and provided none of the feedback or information you may have requested from me, which of us is the rude party, me for my - what? boorish non-interaction? - or you for your replies, whatever their form?

asking for a friend who also doesn't like vero.