My phase 90 clone isn't working

Started by snow123, June 03, 2021, 05:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snow123

Quote from: khm9 on July 11, 2021, 08:13:28 PM
This thread is very entertaining! :)

Why do you put so much solder? Perhaps you're using a solder wire that's too thick? And that makes it hard for you to control the amount?

I recommend using thin solder wire. I find 0.5mm to be perfect. Thin solder wire will make it much easier for you to control the amount of solder that goes on the pads.
i think when i was starting with the circuit i used 1mm but rn im using .8mm.

snow123

for some reason im barely getting any signal unless im touching the strings on my guitar

snow123

Quote from: snow123 on July 11, 2021, 09:12:58 PM
for some reason im barely getting any signal unless im touching the strings on my guitar

i did have this exact issue with an acapulco gold clone i built and i fixed that by replacing the 1n4001 diode, so maybe its the zener diode thats causing this?

snow123

Quote from: snow123 on July 11, 2021, 09:18:30 PM

i did have this exact issue with an acapulco gold clone i built and i fixed that by replacing the 1n4001 diode, so maybe its the zener diode thats causing this?
or maybe the 10uf electrolytic..

snow123

that turned out to be an issue with my guitar LMAO, i did fix that tho and i think the signal is dying around halfway through the phase shifting stage.

ElectricDruid

maybe its the zener diode thats causing this?

Quote from: snow123 on July 11, 2021, 09:20:08 PM

This is you guessing again, because you can't be bothered to actually find out. This time you got lucky and found out what the actual cause was (lo and behold, totally unrelated - the guitar). On other occasions, you've started re-soldering and replacing parts on your board, which just introduces more problems.

Quote from: snow123 on July 12, 2021, 02:20:12 AM
I think the signal is dying around halfway through the phase shifting stage.

"I think" you spend too much time guessing and speculating, and not enough time doing tests to find out for sure.
This is a debugging process, not an attempt at divination. The people here who are better at fixing stuff are better at it not because they have more experience and are able to go "Oh, it'll be X" but because they have a well-honed and logical process worked out that enables them to fairly rapidly eliminate possibilities and narrow the problem down until it can be tested.

Test the input buffer and the phase shift stage outputs (so five tests) and tell us what you find at each one.

antonis

Obviously, your signal generator doesn't work properly..!! :icon_wink:

P.S.
@snow123: I've to admit you trol everyone one here with great success...
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Phend

Have called the power company to check the incoming delta phase sine curves?
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

snow123

Quote from: ElectricDruid on July 12, 2021, 04:25:11 AM
maybe its the zener diode thats causing this?

Quote from: snow123 on July 11, 2021, 09:20:08 PM

This is you guessing again, because you can't be bothered to actually find out. This time you got lucky and found out what the actual cause was (lo and behold, totally unrelated - the guitar). On other occasions, you've started re-soldering and replacing parts on your board, which just introduces more problems.

Quote from: snow123 on July 12, 2021, 02:20:12 AM
I think the signal is dying around halfway through the phase shifting stage.

"I think" you spend too much time guessing and speculating, and not enough time doing tests to find out for sure.
This is a debugging process, not an attempt at divination. The people here who are better at fixing stuff are better at it not because they have more experience and are able to go "Oh, it'll be X" but because they have a well-honed and logical process worked out that enables them to fairly rapidly eliminate possibilities and narrow the problem down until it can be tested.

Test the input buffer and the phase shift stage outputs (so five tests) and tell us what you find at each one.

im getting a completely clean signal throughout all of the transistors in the phase shifting stage, and when i was getting that weird small stone/univibe sound there was an effected signal through all of the jfets. and it seems that the super fuzzy signal starts at the 47nf in the output mixer (yes, i said it went away when i replaced the 47uf electrolytic but i think thats when something went wrong with my guitar lol), so i might want to replace that?

Phend

Yes, replace the guitar and add more solder to the board.  That I'll fix er.
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

snow123

Quote from: Phend on July 12, 2021, 07:55:14 PM
Yes, replace the guitar and add more solder to the board.  That I'll fix er.
no im saying i was an idiot and thought an issue with my guitar was actually an issue with the circuit.

snow123

uhhhh i think there was a short on top of the board, and i fixed that, and now im getting a really bizarre, really quiet phase effect. and i hear it when probing the 150k resistor next to q5s base.

snow123

Quote from: snow123 on July 13, 2021, 05:29:49 PM
uhhhh i think there was a short on top of the board, and i fixed that, and now im getting a really bizarre, really quiet phase effect. and i hear it when probing the 150k resistor next to q5s base.

wait no, that weird phase effect only happens when the trimpot is maxed out, when i turn down the trimpot at all it turns into that weird sputtery fuzz type sound.

snow123

part of me wants to say the trimpot is the issue but i really doubt that, i also dont have any other 250k trimpots lol.

snow123

Quote from: snow123 on July 13, 2021, 05:40:15 PM
Quote from: snow123 on July 13, 2021, 05:29:49 PM

wait no, that weird phase effect only happens when the trimpot is maxed out, when i turn down the trimpot at all it turns into that weird sputtery fuzz type sound.

there was actually a short somewhere that was 'causing that super fuzz sound thing, now i fixed that and the small stone thing is back when it max out the trimpot!!

snow123

everything looks to be working as it was working before i went backwards.

snow123

yea i dont really know what the issue could be

snow123

the only thing i think could be the issue is the 3m9 resistor but i REALLY doubt that.

snow123

Quote from: snow123 on July 17, 2021, 09:54:43 PM
the only thing i think could be the issue is the 3m9 resistor but i REALLY doubt that.

i replaced it and nothings changed (are there arent any additional shorts). but i should not that the harder i pick the strings the drippier the phaser gets, i guess.

snow123

i just tried getting a better phase effect, and it seems like the pedal is working pretty well but when i turn the speed knob down (from ~11 o clock) the phase effect starts to disappear..