My phase 90 clone isn't working

Started by snow123, June 03, 2021, 05:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snow123

Quote from: Slowpoke101 on July 25, 2021, 02:34:19 AM
I hope that your multimeter is now working correctly. I haven't been following this saga very closely.

Make certain that your effects circuit is not powered (remove the battery or disconnect power - whatever), set your meter to low resistance measurement. Short the test leads together and note what reading you get, then see what reading you get when you test pins 4 and 5 of the LFO IC (place one test lead on pin 4 and the other lead on pin 5). Are the the readings the same?
i did get a new multimeter btw

duck_arse

Quote from: snow123 on July 25, 2021, 08:03:30 AM
I hope that your multimeter is now working correctly. I haven't been following this saga very closely.

Make certain that your effects circuit is not powered (remove the battery or disconnect power - whatever), set your meter to low resistance measurement. Short the test leads together and note what reading you get, then see what reading you get when you test pins 4 and 5 of the LFO IC (place one test lead on pin 4 and the other lead on pin 5). Are the the readings the same?
i did get a new multimeter btw

and what, pray, does it show?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Kevin Mitchell

We're 53 days in trying to help debug this one...

• SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

Phend

Shooting for 8000 views.
This thread is for a DIY Olympics Medal made of Solder.
Sloppy crappy one to boot.
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

snow123

wait do i have to have the guitar plugged in

Slowpoke101

No, you do not need your guitar to be plugged in for this test. You also do not need your amplifier to be connected either. Just make certain that the effect is not powered at all.
Do not remove the LFO IC from the board. Just measure the resistance between pins 4 and 5. Is it the same as when you short your multimeter's  leads together?

Also, that is good news that you got a new multimeter  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER

snow123

Quote from: Slowpoke101 on July 26, 2021, 11:18:53 PM
No, you do not need your guitar to be plugged in for this test. You also do not need your amplifier to be connected either. Just make certain that the effect is not powered at all.
Do not remove the LFO IC from the board. Just measure the resistance between pins 4 and 5. Is it the same as when you short your multimeter's  leads together?

Also, that is good news that you got a new multimeter  :icon_mrgreen:

i have random readings when i first short the leads together and after a few seconds in goes to 0, and i have nothing in between p4 and p5

andy-h-h

Quote from: Phend on July 26, 2021, 05:03:31 PM
Shooting for 8000 views.
This thread is for a DIY Olympics Medal made of Solder.
Sloppy crappy one to boot.

It's like slowing down for a car crash.  You know you shouldn't, but you just have to look. 

Slowpoke101

Quote from: snow123 on July 27, 2021, 01:29:14 AM
i have random readings when i first short the leads together and after a few seconds in goes to 0, and i have nothing in between p4 and p5

Interesting result, now do the same test but between pins 4 and 6, then between 5 and 6. Let us know what you find.

Also, would you be able to upload a picture of your multimeter showing the test lead connection options.
  • SUPPORTER

snow123

Quote from: Slowpoke101 on July 27, 2021, 04:01:05 AM
Quote from: snow123 on July 27, 2021, 01:29:14 AM

Interesting result, now do the same test but between pins 4 and 6, then between 5 and 6. Let us know what you find.

Also, would you be able to upload a picture of your multimeter showing the test lead connection options.
this is my multimeter

snow123

snow123

Quote from: snow123 on July 27, 2021, 08:01:31 PM
should i swap out the trimpot?

i just swapped it and nothings changed.

snow123

i should also mention the speed knob isnt doing anything.

duck_arse

if the oscillator isn't running, the speed knob won't do anything. if you still have tose extra 0V measures, the oscillator isn't running. you still need to find the short causing the problem.

why change the trimpot, why suspect the trimpot? did you test it first, or just pull it out? did you test the pulled trimpot?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: duck_arse on July 29, 2021, 11:12:21 AM
why change the trimpot, why suspect the trimpot? did you test it first, or just pull it out? did you test the pulled trimpot?

No. Snow123's Modus Operandi is "Suspect some random part, change some random part, wonder why random things are happening". And then repeat, too frequently.

Notice how they didn't wait for an answer to the question about whether they should swap the trimpot before actually doing it? Since the answer that would have been given was "No, why?", actually waiting would have been a much better response. But Snow123 seems to be someone for whom any sort of activity is better than no activity at all, even if it takes them further away from their goal. After all, they can always do double the work to get back to where they started. As has been demonstrated several times already on this thread. They are certainly willing to do the work, but mostly it has been self-inflicted. And mostly it serves only to get us back to where we were several pages earlier.

Honestly, Snow - slow down, stop changing bits at random and we can help you fix this thing. While you insist on giving us a moving target by changing random parts, even the knowledgable people here don't stand a chance.

At this point, we're close. It seems like all your phase stages are mostly working. It seems like if you could get a decent LFO signal running, you might even have a working phaser. Pulling out the bias trimmer and changing it for no reason doesn't get you any closer to that, as people would tell you if you'd give them a chance, or as you'd work out yourself if you thought through what you were doing and tested the parts you were thinking are faulty.

My advice is that you shouldn't give up, but you should slow down. "Less haste, more speed" they say where I'm from, meaning the job gets done quicker if you don't rush it.

snow123

Quote from: ElectricDruid on July 29, 2021, 07:03:08 PM
Quote from: duck_arse on July 29, 2021, 11:12:21 AM

No. Snow123's Modus Operandi is "Suspect some random part, change some random part, wonder why random things are happening". And then repeat, too frequently.

Notice how they didn't wait for an answer to the question about whether they should swap the trimpot before actually doing it? Since the answer that would have been given was "No, why?", actually waiting would have been a much better response. But Snow123 seems to be someone for whom any sort of activity is better than no activity at all, even if it takes them further away from their goal. After all, they can always do double the work to get back to where they started. As has been demonstrated several times already on this thread. They are certainly willing to do the work, but mostly it has been self-inflicted. And mostly it serves only to get us back to where we were several pages earlier.

Honestly, Snow - slow down, stop changing bits at random and we can help you fix this thing. While you insist on giving us a moving target by changing random parts, even the knowledgable people here don't stand a chance.

At this point, we're close. It seems like all your phase stages are mostly working. It seems like if you could get a decent LFO signal running, you might even have a working phaser. Pulling out the bias trimmer and changing it for no reason doesn't get you any closer to that, as people would tell you if you'd give them a chance, or as you'd work out yourself if you thought through what you were doing and tested the parts you were thinking are faulty.

My advice is that you shouldn't give up, but you should slow down. "Less haste, more speed" they say where I'm from, meaning the job gets done quicker if you don't rush it.

i thought that the trimpot was somehow kinda blocking the signal or something i guess. i thought something couldve been wrong in the area outlined below:

Slowpoke101

I am still waiting for you to post the results to my questions that I asked some days ago. You did post some pictures of your meter which does help us to see what tests your meter can do. But more importantly, so we can advise you as to how to do any of those tests.

People are trying to help you so please take the time and try to follow their suggestions and instructions.

Here is something to consider - your LFO oscillator (Rate Knob) was sorta working at one point. But it dropped dead after you changed the 470K resistor next to IC3 and a 150K resistor. That 470K resistor connects to pin 7 and pin 5 of IC3. Also that 150K resistor connects to pin 5 of IC3 and to the Cathode of D1 (amongst other things). This area is where your problem most likely is - possible solder bridges or bad connections. Look closely.
  • SUPPORTER

snow123

i just did some reflowing and i checked the soldering a bunch, then i tested it and for a bit i got a full phase effect (without actively turning the trimpot!), then it went away, and im only getitng the full phase effect when im actively turning the trimpot...

snow123

im thinking i should replace the sockets since there pretty loose now

Slowpoke101

Turn the Rate control to mid-way and measure the voltages on pins 5, 6 an 7 of IC3.
What are they?

OK...Replace the IC socket first and than measure the voltages.
  • SUPPORTER