Request for help troubleshooting EHX Freeze

Started by keevon, June 08, 2021, 09:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keevon

Hello!  First time posting.  I'm hoping the community can help me troubleshoot an EHX Freeze repair that has gone sideways.  Full disclosure, I'm pretty new to working on pedals and electronics in general. 

My brother asked me to fix the broken 3-way toggle on his Freeze and install a soft-click foot switch.  The pedal was working, but it was stuck in one mode.  EHX helped me find the right sub-mini DPDT switch for the 3-way toggle.  After some effort I managed to extract the broken toggle (in many small pieces), clean up the pads, and install the new toggle.  I also swapped in the new soft-click switch.

Unfortunately, the pedal isn't working now.  When I plug in the power, the LED comes on after 16 seconds and stays on.  The pedal passes signal, but the foot switch does nothing and I'm not getting the freeze effect.  Swapping back to the stock foot switch didn't help either.

Here are a couple shots of the board.  I think my solder job on the toggle was OK.  There are a couple of nicks on the board from when I removed the old toggle, but I can't tell if those are an issue or not.

Any suggestions for how I could go about troubleshooting this?  Thanks in advance!

Firesledge

In the right red circle on the second picture, make sure the small track linking the vias is not cut.
Pédale Vite, multi-FX pedalboard

keevon

Thanks!  To confirm, you're talking about this area, right?

If the track is cut, is there a way to repair it?  Or can I solder a jumper wire between the two holes?

Firesledge

Yes, this area. And yes, you can solder a jumper wire between both vias if the track is dead.
Pédale Vite, multi-FX pedalboard

keevon

Success!  That track was indeed cut.  Soldered a tiny wire to bridge the vias and all is working well.

Thanks for your help!

ElectricDruid

8) Nice work, Keevon, and welcome to the forum!