Aion Refractor first build does not work

Started by FlickeringMadness, June 09, 2021, 01:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlickeringMadness

I just built my first pedal, the Aion Refractor kit build. Thought I did a nice job, led lit up but no sound even when bypassed. I have to bring my voltmeter home tomorrow but thought I would post pics and see if you all can spot something I missed. Thanks so much in advance I read one thread that said it might be too much flux on the board, I dont see any bridged connections though. Not a complete failure for my first build, the light works hahaha

idy

You don't need a meter yet...since even bypass is not working, the problem (or the first problem) is almost certainly in the jacks or the foot switch.

Once bypass is working then we can start raking your voltages over the coals.

Signal probe (really just a guitar cable with a capacitor on the hot lead and a clip on the ground. You poke and find where the sound is dying. Input jack? Short to ground?

idy

And welcome! Kind of a complex build for first try!

antonis

Also Welcome.. :icon_wink:

IMHO, issue is located on 3PDT switch PCB and specifically on ribbon cable junctions..
(e.g. right GND wire pad seems unsoldered..)

Also, many pads on main PCB need solder reflowing.. :icon_wink:

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

FlickeringMadness

Thanks IDY and Antonis, I'll take another look over it tonight, good eye antonis it does look like I may have missed that ground! The pictures aren't the greatest quality really appreciate you both taking a look over them though, I'll let you know how it works out

FlickeringMadness

Antonis, I could absolutely kiss you. Thank you so, so much!!! I reflowed everything, touched up a few things under better light and it works. Perfectly. I'm so thankful that you took the time to look over my build, you are a legend!!!!

FlickeringMadness

If you're building the Refractor kit and reading this, there's another issue I ran into. In the instructions it says when doing certain connections to MAKE SURE to clip a few specific leads as short as possible, and they do mean it hahahah. I did final assembly and had the same issue again, no sound at all because the boards were shorrting out between each other. I don't have the greatest clippers and ended up removing the underside lock and flat washers and it resolved the problem. So, if you're building this kit don't cheap out on the clippers like Indod! Thanks again to the two gents who looked over my build, can't wait to start my next two projects!!!

antonis

Without any intention for understating Aion FX products (definately by no mean), wire ribbons and respective connectors aren't indicated for audio pedal work..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..