EHX Op-amp Big Muff Reissue - mod to fix gated sound?

Started by heyrobscott, July 11, 2021, 08:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heyrobscott

I picked up the recent reissue of the EHX Opamp Big Muff, and am happy with the sound, but there's this gated, almost dying battery sound on the release of each note that I can't stand. I think this is what JHS has created a 3-way switch for with their Pumpkin Pi mod, but they don't seem to be selling it anywhere, and I've yet to find a schematic for this. I'm assuming it's a diode switch, but not certain from looking at schematics which to change.

Is anyone familiar with this reissue or the original circuit and aware of where to change the diodes to lessen this gated effect on the release of the effect?

elissaforn

PRR

> I picked up the recent reissue ....there's this gated, almost dying

If it is new, and defective, take it back. Especially if Elissa's pedal is also sick. Maybe EHX needs to clean up their act.
  • SUPPORTER

heyrobscott

Not a defect, unfortunately, it's a common complaint with the reissue. I think that's why you've seen mods like the JHS that can take out the noise gate. I'm just looking for mod instructions to do it myself.

PRR

I would call a "sustainer" that gates "defective".

Are they ALL doing this? Just MOST? Or SOME?

Anything can be fixed. But I bet this one is teeny parts and (as you say) no documentation. EHX stuff should not need aftermarket "mods" to work right. (This is not Mike's first dance.) If a mod-maker has figured this out, he may keep the trick close to his vest.
  • SUPPORTER