Grounding: pedal fails when jacks are installed/grounding through chassis

Started by Toy Sun, July 26, 2021, 03:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toy Sun

Using what I think is a star ground (DC, each jack, pcb ground, all on individual offboard wires connected) my pedal stops working when I mount the jacks. When I remove them from the chassis, pedal works. They aren't insulated. I have a feeling that there is some clear reason for this? PCB is the Aion Tri Vibe.

Thanks,
J

DIY Bass

Photos may help.  In order I am betting 1:  Everything is correctly wired but your power jack is metal and shorting +9V to the case.  2:  power jack is reverse wired  3: audio jacks are reverse wired.

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Toy Sun

Jacks are wired correctly (sleeve to ground), power jack is wired correctly, and it's a plastic DC jack, but it is kind of crappy (Tayada, bad batch, TBH) so I have to really cram the plug into the socket. When I test, I get continuity between the DC pin and the chassis, through the common ground. I'll remove that and see if it's physically shorting, too, though I'm not sure what issue that would cause. It's certainly not the DC + that is shorting.

DIY Bass

If the pedal is working when not in the case, and not working when in the case then either something is wired wrongly, or something (pot casing, wiring etc) is accidentally touching the case.  Photos may help people give you some idea otherwise those are types of things to look for.

anotherjim

1/4" jack Tip contacts move outward when a plug is inserted. Make sure those contact springs are far enough away from the case with plugs in.

Toy Sun

Doh! Pots were grounding out against side of chassis. What's the old saying? You always find the lost object in the last place you looked.....

Thanks for all the great ideas folks,

J

amptramp

Quote from: Toy Sun on July 29, 2021, 04:51:49 AM
Doh! Pots were grounding out against side of chassis. What's the old saying? You always find the lost object in the last place you looked.....

J

Of course you find it in the last place you looked.  After you find it, you stop looking.

duck_arse

Quote from: amptramp on July 29, 2021, 11:25:51 AM
Quote from: Toy Sun on July 29, 2021, 04:51:49 AM

J

Of course you find it in the last place you looked.  After you find it, you stop looking.

this often leads me to wonder - what is in those other places ..... ?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Toy Sun

Just had to share that I was puzzling over this thing, sitting on my bench, taking 4x longer to troubleshoot than build. The other night, I was watching a move, "Zodiac" about tracking a murderer (great cops vs. journalist movie) and the whole mystery solving thing was strong in my mind. I went in to the workshop, looked at my mess of test leads, swapped parts, and crazy attempts to isolate and fix, and then "aha!" I saw the whole thing a new light - found the issue.

Zen and the art of not seeing?

bluebunny

Quote from: duck_arse on July 29, 2021, 11:42:43 AM
this often leads me to wonder - what is in those other places ..... ?

Things that I'd forgotten I had in the first place.   :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...