Taco Fry Fuzz

Started by soggybag, August 02, 2021, 03:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soggybag

Here's a Taco Fry Fuzz build, you could say it was a factory of fuzz tones! I used a relay switching system from diyguitarpedals.com, thanks again Erik!

Here's a link to a blog post about the whole process:

http://www.super-freq.com/factory-of-fuzz-fuzz-factory-clone/

This worked pretty good. I might do another write up dedicated to the this switch in the future. After trying the relay I'm starting to like it! The board is easy to assemble. Installation is very straightforward just read the legend on the bottom of the board, it's paint by numbers really.

That last picture might look weird. I took a little piece from a chopstick and taped to to the side of the switch to prevent the switch from rotating as I tightened the nut, since I was unable to brace the switch with the board in the way.

duck_arse

that last pic you took I can't see when I follow the link. I have to download the original on the blank page. it's all very neat, I like the vero'd pots especially. the unsupported AC-K heatsinks, not so much [a pet peeve of mine].
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

soggybag

Thanks.

Not sure what you mean about the unsupported AC-K heat sinks? I'm guessing you're talking about the transistors. I just did what I could there. There was not a lot of room. Though it would looked pretty cool to attach them to the enclosure with 4-40 hex bolts!

duck_arse

ACxxx being the transistor, K being the heatsink package, the great lump of aluminium with all its inertia. carry on.

duck_arse

thinking about this today in an idle moment. you don't really need to bolt them down, you'd only need to support the mass of the aluminium, and you could rest easy ay night. so if you had something you could cut to size and glue under the big blocks to act like a support, you'd destress the solders from footswitching inertias. as for what you could easily cut and glue, well, I have no idea .....

soggybag

Maybe a couple rubber donuts 🍩? If they were fat enough they would rest on the bottom of the enclosure.

antonis

Stephen is right about mechanical stength..

You are free to sleep in peace of mind as far as you are not any of those poor trannies.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

soggybag

I was serious about the rubber donuts!

On a related topic. Is it best to isolate the case on these types of transistors?

antonis

I suppose you refer on electrical isolation.. :icon_wink:

All types of heatsinks are placed on Collector.. If you are sure there isn't any chance for grounded case and all Collectors are fed from the same point (it only stands for Emitter followers) feel free not to isolate them..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

QuoteThat last picture might look weird. I took a little piece from a chopstick and taped to to the side of the switch to prevent the switch from rotating as I tightened the nut, since I was unable to brace the switch with the board in the way.

Quoteso if you had something you could cut to size and glue under the big blocks ....

soggybag

Quote from: duck_arse on August 07, 2021, 10:20:01 AM
QuoteThat last picture might look weird. I took a little piece from a chopstick and taped to to the side of the switch to prevent the switch from rotating as I tightened the nut, since I was unable to brace the switch with the board in the way.

Quoteso if you had something you could cut to size and glue under the big blocks ....

I got plenty of chopstick left over!