Tonepad PNP Fuzz Face

Started by mateusborges, August 03, 2021, 09:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mateusborges

Hello there guys!

Thanks to the help of tons of people here and all the knowledge spread tru the forum topics I'm going to finish my 6th pedal, and I've been actively using the last 5 in a daily basis here at the studio, so thanks you all once again!

I'm in the process of finishing a Tonepad Fuzz Face, but here's the deal. The pedal is working, however I want to add to it a led and a DC jack but I get all confused, and scared, of damaging the few germanium transistors I got.

What I'm trying to do is kind of blending theses two things together...

And...

My brain just can't understand this positive ground thing. Sorry about the dumb question but could you guys point me out how should I connect those 2 together?

Cheers!

idy

You know that when you do connect those two things together you will need a separate power supply? No daisy chaining this way!

But the two diagrams show where red and black, in and out go and they are fine. Red is now ground though so no daisy chain. If you want daisy chain you either need to use NPN circuit or charge pump voltage inverter.

mateusborges

Quote from: idy on August 03, 2021, 10:30:29 PM
You know that when you do connect those two things together you will need a separate power supply? No daisy chaining this way!

But the two diagrams show where red and black, in and out go and they are fine. Red is now ground though so no daisy chain. If you want daisy chain you either need to use NPN circuit or charge pump voltage inverter.

Yup, got myself a -9V DC power for those guys, just need to understand where should I connect the wires from the 2nd pic in the 1st pic.

idy

-9v power supply? The diagram assumes normal center negative guitar pedal power. You still can't daisy chain, but all you need is a normal pedal supply. (If you have other positive ground pedals, those may daisy chain together.)

If you have that, then the diagram shows a switch, and power supply, and LED, and jacks attached to a board that has four wires: in, out, ground(red) and -9v(black.)

The tonepad PCB has pads marked in and out, and also one marked "red wire" and one marked "black wire." The red wire is positive ground, and the black is -9v.

antonis

Quote from: idy on August 04, 2021, 01:11:50 AM
-9v power supply?

I presume you never heard about negative rectification.. :icon_lol:

@mateusborges: Forget all about positive and negative grounds.. You have a circuit bound for working with 9V potential difference..
This potential difference can be +9V/GND, GND/-9V, +18V/+9V, +4.5V/-4.5V or any other combination resulting into 9V absolute value..

If you look after Griffin effects wiring you'll see that voltage difference between Red & Black wires, with Red one exhibiting higher voltage than the Black one..
(they are marked + & - respectively as for any power source terminals..)
It's up to us which terminal we like to connect to GND (0V by arbitrary definition), hence the other one can be considered "positive" or "negative" regarding to 0V..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

mateusborges

Thanks for the replies guys!

What I meant with a -9v power supply is that I have two different power supplies, one for the +9v pedals (red 9v, black 0/center) and one for -9v pedals (red 0, black 9v/center). I think this way is going to be safer here at the studio ;)
I also have different sized DC plugs and jacks for each one just in case.

As for the Fuzz Face, here's what I mean... And again sorry about the dumbness!

Here's what I have:

What should I do?

A)

B)

I'm guessing it's the same thing, but I better making sure than waiting several weeks for new transistors hehe

Cheers!

mateusborges

Can someone please save me here?

antonis

A & B are the same as far as there is jumper between Red & Green traces.. :icon_wink:
(the black wire pointed by orange arrow..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

mateusborges

Thanks a lot! 6th pedal working! Woot!