Digital emulation of a Klon Centaur on a Teensy

Started by Blackaddr, August 21, 2023, 11:07:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackaddr

Jatin from ChowDSP has published the Multiverse source code for his digital model of the infamous Klon Centaur (called Chow Centaur). He uses Wave Digital Filter (WDF) to model the non-linear components. This is rumoured to be the same technique used by Fractal Audio for Axe FX modelling of some pedals. CPU usage on the Teensy (Multiverse uses Teensy Micromod) is around 25%, leaving plenty of CPU for other effects. I'm pretty impressed by Jatin's ability to get very advanced techniques like WDF to run well on low-cost hardware.

The source code for his Multiverse project is here:
https://github.com/AviateAudio/ChowDSP_ChowCentaur

Here's a clip of Shane demoing the effect on the Multiverse.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CuFt1nnIQ1Z/
Blackaddr Audio
Digital Modelling Enthusiast
www.blackaddr.com

ElectricDruid

Reading the code for that, there's a pretty comprehensive framework laid out for a lot of further work. In order to get to "Klon Centaur", they've had to build a WDF class, and then build all the parts from there that you'll need, modelling capacitors, resistors, current sources, etc etc. And then, finally, once you've done all that groundwork, you can build your Centaur out of all the bits you just defined.
In terms of optimisations, I see a widespread use of matrices (I *think* that's what they're doing) which is probably the quickest way to munge the required maths. I remember using matrices to draw *circles* back in the days when that was a big ask of any personal computer's graphic capability! 3D rotations was another example where they came up as the most efficient way to get the job done, so early 3D games were full of matrix maths.

I'll have to read some of the research stuff over on the ChowDSP site though - that's looking like they're getting into some serious stuff I could do with knowing! Thanks for the pointer, Blackaddr.