MOMENTARY GROUND - Latching SPDT creates momentary effect both ways

Started by stonerbox, September 14, 2021, 03:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stonerbox

Would this work? I threw this together with the intention to pull the voltage at R25 (3k) momentarily to ground every time the SPDT switch is pressed. I tested with a LED's cathode connected to the collector and it lights up shortly with each press of the switch but I am uncertain if the circuit is good as is?

There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes

PRR

• SUPPORTER

stonerbox

Quote from: PRR on September 14, 2021, 04:05:31 PM

?

But that would not make it momentary. The voltage must be able to quickly rise again.
There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

stonerbox

Quote from: antonis on September 14, 2021, 05:07:12 PM
Quote from: stonerbox on September 14, 2021, 04:08:51 PM
The voltage must be able to quickly rise again.

As soon as you release the switch button.. :icon_wink:

Sorry if I explained this poorly in the initial post. If the switch was momentary yes but I am using a latching switch.

anotherjim

The problem with the circuit is that once the switch is used to send +v to the timing cap C10 it will be charged and won't discharge when switched to 0v - there is no path as Q1 b-e junction is reverse biased. You would put a reverse diode across Q1 b-e junction to provide a discharge path - but that won't pulse Q1 on - that won't be possible.

antonis

Quote from: anotherjim on September 15, 2021, 04:47:19 PM
timing cap C10

I shouldn't implement a 47pF cap for that use..
(47nF with proper resistor scaling, perhaps - 470nF, more realistic ..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

ElectricDruid

Can you explain why are you trying to use a latching switch for a momentary job?

It seems like an odd choice!