Differet ways of assembling a pedal (place jacks/knobs/etc)

Started by Plexi, September 16, 2021, 12:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plexi

I'm VERY bored of build and see pedals as always: jacks side by side, upper position, knobs and footswitch in center or geometric positions.. it's boring!

I noticed that I've started to enjoy the not perfect pedals; is it uncomfortable for fashionable micro-pedalboards? Better! I don't care about neatness, small boards, etc. I want different things!

Let's share some different ways of drill or diagram jacks/footswitch/knobs..!

Fresh ideas please!  ;D
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

marcelomd

Nice.
I've been thinking some "always on" pedals don't need a footswitch. A preamp/simulator for example.
I also only set EQ and drive between songs. Never during them. So a toggle switch is enough for me

davent

Quote from: Plexi on September 16, 2021, 12:10:27 PM
I'm VERY bored of build and see pedals as always: jacks side by side, upper position, knobs and footswitch in center or geometric positions.. it's boring!

Fresh ideas please!  ;D

It's dictated by the perceived need to pcb mount all the pots all the switches etc. . I use to play a game picking out pedals that used board mounted pots and switches and those built off board parts wired in. I think it has gotten better more creative over the years.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Plexi

Quote from: marcelomd on September 16, 2021, 01:27:34 PM
Nice.
I've been thinking some "always on" pedals don't need a footswitch. A preamp/simulator for example.
I also only set EQ and drive between songs. Never during them. So a toggle switch is enough for me

Yep, I've built a buch of those into a 1590A. Now I have an Echoplex Preamp that way (just a mini switch to bypass, just in case).
Always on Barbershop:

Plexi

Quote from: davent on September 16, 2021, 01:33:43 PM
Quote from: Plexi on September 16, 2021, 12:10:27 PM

Fresh ideas please!  ;D

It's dictated by the perceived need to pcb mount all the pots all the switches etc. . I use to play a game picking out pedals that used board mounted pots and switches and those built off board parts wired in. I think it has gotten better more creative over the years.

Exactly. I use just 2 mounted pots/jack or something that brings a secure hold.

marcelomd

Toy Sun

I was going to hold off on posting this until I could make a little gallery of my work, but how about this? Actually ended up staining the wood so the current version is a bit darker.

Plexi

Rob Strand

Some years ago a guy built a pedal in the base of an old clothes iron.     The shear size and weight of it would deter someone from stealing it  :icon_mrgreen:.

A few people built pedals in glass jars with metal lids.   They put LEDs inside and it lights up.   One of those was funny because the label kind of made sense for the pedal.

QuoteWhat about pedals in toys?
Perhaps a noise pedal could be built into a Donald Trump doll.   There's a few good places for the 6.5mm jacks.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Phend

"I was going to hold off on posting this until I could make a little gallery of my work, but how about this? Actually ended up staining the wood so the current version is a bit darker"
  Cool, what is it. Very cool.
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Toy Sun

The wood is a cedar shingle. Built up section is laser cut acrylic layers, there is a strip of COB LED for the edglighting/glow. Actual panel is back painted acrylic, laser etched.

amptramp

This one is going to get finished when A-1 Electronics opens back up for people to browse for knobs.  Or on May 32 next year, whichever comes first.  The pedal is at the lower left with its 12-0-12 VDC wall wart.  The unit on the right is a projector controller that it was made out of.  The board in the middle is what is under the lid of the projector controller.  The two housings up top were other housings I would use for a pedal.

EBK

I STILL haven't finished building this after two years, but here is another example of a fun control layout. 

Maybe next year will be the year that I finish it.   :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

aleks_tedstone

I put a bit of a twist on this fuzz factory clone because I wanted to put the input capacitor switch on the front, rather than the side of a 1590B. I bumped it up to 1590BB and thought the diagonal layout was a good way of fitting everything on the front, although I was still quite inexperienced at the time and so the internal wiring is a bit of a mess! Another reason I didn't want to squeeze it into a smaller enclosure!

Plexi

Nice ideas..! Love those 45º knobs and led orientation.
The circle idea too.

Amptramp, those enclosures reminds me to the Hammond ones.. Never seen one in a "real" photo, and always wanted one.

Plexi

From a Rangemaster type clone, to a mini amp.. anyone?  ;D

aleks_tedstone

Thanks Plexi! Always thought the Moogerfooger enclosures with the wooden sides were incredibly classy but if I had enough money to buy one, I wouldn't need to make DIY pedals!

Plexi

Quote from: aleks_tedstone on September 20, 2021, 10:07:41 AM
Thanks Plexi! Always thought the Moogerfooger enclosures with the wooden sides were incredibly classy but if I had enough money to buy one, I wouldn't need to make DIY pedals!

We should take a shot over them, aren't cheapper to be honest..!

Jdansti

The Odius Max was for the Mayan Calendar End of the World contest.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...