KiCad, How to install parts library?

Started by soggybag, September 20, 2021, 09:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soggybag

How do you add a parts library for KiCad?

Thought I'd give KiCad a try. But the default installation doesn't seem to have any parts! If you open the parts browser it asks for a parts library if you don't one and close the dialog box there doesn't seem to be an option to add parts later, super frustrating!

PRR

• SUPPORTER

FiveseveN

Quote from: soggybag on September 20, 2021, 09:08:59 PM
the default installation doesn't seem to have any parts
It comes with thousands of parts: https://gitlab.com/kicad/libraries
Go to Preferences -> Manage Symbol/Footprint Libraries and make sure the Active option is ticked for the libs you want to use.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

soggybag

I know I'm missing something. But the instructions above don't match what I see.

First, when you open KiCad and select a part you get this dialog box:

If you close this you can't open it again! Seriously, I have to go into user/Library/Preferences/KiCad and delete some obscure file before the dialog box will open again. It just opens the first time you try and add a part when there is no library installed.

I downloaded the parts library. When I'm in the dialog box above it doesn't seem to like any of the files there? It seems to always say "... is not a valid symbol library table file."

So obviously I'm missing something.

soggybag

I think I figured it out, thanks everyone! I got stuck on that first dialog. You need make a empty library first, I had thought you could import everything initially, then import parts after.