Small Bear - Message To The Community

Started by smallbearelec, September 22, 2021, 01:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallbearelec

Dear Friends and Customers:

After 22 years as Chief Executive Bear of Small Bear Electronics, I am planning to retire and begin another stage of life with my good wife.

I have had a marvelous run: growing from a kitchen table to a 5,000-square foot warehouse, growing in tandem with both the community of DIYers and the numerous independent pedal makers who have become a major force in the effects market. Judy and I have had some wonderful experiences combining business and pleasure, from meeting domestic and overseas customers and vendors to sightseeing in locales from Alaska to South Africa.

This decision has not been forced by market conditions; business has continued as strong as ever through the pandemic. So, the store will be open as usual over the coming months. I will be selling down the inventory--first-come/first-served--and not replenishing stock. There is likely to be some confusion as we shrink. Thank you for your support all these years, and please bear with us through the transition.

Steve, Judy and the Small Bear Team

theehman

Sorry to hear that, Steve, but congrats on your upcoming retirement!  Maybe you could find someone to take over Small Bear to continue?
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

antonis

We thank you for everything, Steve.!!  :icon_wink:

Wish you happiness for all the days of your life..!! :icon_biggrin:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

EBK

I'm sure I'll be panic buying from you as you wind down shop.   :icon_razz:

But, enjoy your retirement!  You've earned it.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

GibsonGM

Thanks for being there, Steve, and always running a quality shop! We're going to miss you, but hope you enjoy whatever follows for you!  :) 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

ElectricDruid

Quote from: theehman on September 22, 2021, 01:55:44 PM
Maybe you could find someone to take over Small Bear to continue?

This would be my thought too. I know it's not easy to sell a business, but honestly - Small Bear has the visibility, an excellent brand, everything in place and running already, etc etc.. It's about as good as it comes if you want a "going concern"!

Either way, best of luck for the future, Steve. It's been a pleasure doing business with you and your excellent staff (hi Tina!).

lapsteelman

All the best in retirement Steve!

I'm old enough to remember the days when it was hard just finding a DPDT footswitch... your store made it easy to find all the quality parts you needed in one spot. Thank you.

Best of luck in the future.

bluebunny

The service you've provided to so many over the years will be hugely missed, Steve, but you more than deserve to enjoy a bit of downtime, and no-one here would begrudge you that.  Best wishes for a wonderful and lengthy retirement!  :)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Rob Strand

You did a good job of it Steve.   I wish you all the best in your retirement.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Jdansti

Best wishes in retirement!  You've made the community of stompbox builders a better place!
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

strungout

Well, good retirement! Small Bear will be missed!
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

Aviator18

I wish you the best in your retirement, Steve.
Have Soldering Iron, Will Travel.

glops

Thanks for your presence, Steve. Small Bear has always been my favorite shop hands down. Sad to see it come to an end and wish you the best of luck in the future. The DIY community will go on but won't be the same.

bean

I don't think we could overstate how much Steve and his crew has helped the DIY community. Best of luck to you! I'm going to miss exploring smallbear for all the things I didn't know I needed.

CheapPedalCollector

Good luck Steve, gonna really miss the shop if someone doesn't take it over. You've been a source for many of my needs to repair older pedals and it's going to be hard to find some of it now. I do hope someone takes over and continues to stock most of the stuff.

blackieNYC

Steve! We'll miss you terribly, but congratulations on a well-earned retirement. Thank you for all your help. Pedal building has been a life changing discovery for me, and I wouldn't have gotten off the ground without you and your crew. 
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

imJonWain

enjoy retirement!  Your shop and projects are where I got started! You'll be missed!
  • SUPPORTER
TFRelectronics

Mark Hammer

Somewhere in the archives, there is probably a thread where Steve tells the rest of us he has a line on some part at a really good price, and asks how many of us would be interested in going in on a mass purchase.  That's how the bear began.

idy

Ah, those BB "blemished" enclosures. Even a man living in a cave could afford beautiful boxes for his fuzz. So many happy people. So many fuzzy riffs.

And when we needed a thing that was "just right" we could call the Bear.

digi2t

Happy retirement Steve, and all the best. Smallbear will be missed, for sure.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK