JHS Twin Twelve v1 Vero clone noise issues

Started by snow123, September 10, 2021, 07:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snow123

I built a twin twelve and everything is working as a should be, but it's just super noisy when I'm not playing. But I did notice that making the gnd wire that goes from the circuit to the 9v jack touch the input jacks tip drastically reduces the noise.
Pics:

vero layout i used: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2017/10/jhs-twin-twelve-v1.html

snow123

im also wondering if increasing the values of the components marked below would reduce the noise at all.

radio

"But I did notice that making the gnd wire that goes from the circuit to the 9v jack touch the input jacks tip drastically reduces the noise."

The GND should also go to the input jacks, it looks like you did, but maybe you should resolder the ground connections on both jacks,

even of it looks like the right one has not a good connection.
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

snow123

Quote from: radio on September 10, 2021, 07:49:03 PM
"But I did notice that making the gnd wire that goes from the circuit to the 9v jack touch the input jacks tip drastically reduces the noise."

The GND should also go to the input jacks, it looks like you did, but maybe you should resolder the ground connections on both jacks,

even of it looks like the right one has not a good connection.

ok, now its only noisy when the gain is maxed out.

snow123

now im think i should increase the value of some of the components connected to treble 2, since thats also connected to gain 3.

radio

If its really just the noise that bothers you,you could insert a resistor between those 2 points ,yes.

But you have to try ,which value depending how much you have to dial back.

If you only like the sound up to half,you could also replace the drive pot by an A500K

Have you tried the circuit boxed yet? Because that could also reduce the hiss
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

snow123

Quote from: radio on September 10, 2021, 10:29:39 PM
If its really just the noise that bothers you,you could insert a resistor between those 2 points ,yes.

But you have to try ,which value depending how much you have to dial back.

If you only like the sound up to half,you could also replace the drive pot by an A500K

Have you tried the circuit boxed yet? Because that could also reduce the hiss
the circuit is already boxed up

duck_arse

Quote from: snow123 on September 10, 2021, 07:08:44 PM
But I did notice that making the gnd wire that goes from the circuit to the 9v jack touch the input jacks tip drastically reduces the noise.

this statement is univesally true, because you are grounding the signal. like a black hole, nothing escapes - not noise, not signal.

you really don't want to be learning this over and over and over and over and over and over
don't make me draw another line.

snow123

Quote from: duck_arse on September 11, 2021, 10:48:23 AM
But I did notice that making the gnd wire that goes from the circuit to the 9v jack touch the input jacks tip drastically reduces the noise.

this statement is univesally true, because you are grounding the signal. like a black hole, nothing escapes - not noise, not signal.

you really don't want to be learning this over and over and over and over and over and over

i figured thats why. but would connecting that ground wire to the input jacks tip remove the noise, or would the signal just go straight to ground resulting in no audio?

snow123

Quote from: snow123 on September 12, 2021, 12:06:19 AM

i figured thats why. but would connecting that ground wire to the input jacks tip remove the noise, or would the signal just go straight to ground resulting in no audio?

or would i just use shielded wire for that?

antonis

Quote from: snow123 on September 12, 2021, 12:06:19 AM
i figured thats why.

Are you sure ..??

P.S.
No hard feelings but plz plz plz plz plz study about ground loops, shielded enclosures, interference etc.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

Quote from: antonis on September 15, 2021, 05:02:17 PM

P.S.
No hard feelings but plz plz plz plz plz study about ground loops, shielded enclosures, interference etc.. :icon_wink:

who me? can't I just grind the top?

snow123

ok, but would soldering that ground wire to the input jacks tip remove the noise, or would the signal just go straight to ground resulting in no audio? or do i just use shielded wire for that?

bluebunny

Quote from: snow123 on September 16, 2021, 04:45:18 PM
would soldering that ground wire to the input jacks tip remove the noise, or would the signal just go straight to ground resulting in no audio?

If you ground the signal, it's gone: silence.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

duck_arse

if signal is on the tip, and you wire tip to ground, where does signal go? why not wire all your pedals with the jack tips shorted to jack sleeve?

shielding is not connecting ground to tip. screening is not connecting ground to tip. shield and screen are ways to reduce feedback howl problems in high gain builds. they are not ways to reduce noise. shield and screen always connect to ground. shield and sleeve never connect to signal. signal always connects to tip. ground never* connects to tip.

signal to noise ratio is very low hereabouts.

* work this out for yourself.

snow123

Quote from: bluebunny on September 17, 2021, 04:30:55 AM
Quote from: snow123 on September 16, 2021, 04:45:18 PM
would soldering that ground wire to the input jacks tip remove the noise, or would the signal just go straight to ground resulting in no audio?

If you ground the signal, it's gone: silence.
figured. was just wondering if the signal would somehow split off to ground and the circuit itself.

snow123

snow123

snow123

Quote from: snow123 on September 17, 2021, 09:45:10 PM
so would shielded wire fix it?
like replacing wire that goes from the input jacks tip with shielded wire and wire the shield to gnd.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: snow123 on September 26, 2021, 02:02:30 PM
Quote from: snow123 on September 17, 2021, 09:45:10 PM
so would shielded wire fix it?
like replacing wire that goes from the input jacks tip with shielded wire and wire the shield to gnd.

It can help on some builds, but if the enclosure is properly grounded too, there shouldn't be too much interference inside the box anyway. For high gain builds, you can get feedback (and howls) from the output back to the input, and shielding even the internal wires can help.