Embarrassing switching question(bypassing a singlecoil/hb pickup sim before FF)

Started by Bandwagonesque, October 12, 2021, 02:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandwagonesque

Hi everyone. I've been having quite a bit of trouble in getting the AMZ transformer based pickup simulator to work on a 3 position DPDT switch so I can have single coil on the up position, it totally bypassed on the middle position, and humbucker on the low position. my resources at the moment are scant but i'm beginning to think the one switch I have at my disposal as nil or what I want to assume is correct wiring, is really not. But I came across this layout for the same circuit but using a simple SPDT switch to switch just between single coil and humbucker.

This is a rather embarrassing question but if I went and used a 3 position on-off-on SPDT, this would do what I would want in bypassing the pickup simulator circuit completely?

This will be going in front of a silicon fuzz face circuit with the input going to the pickup simulator circuit, and then onto a 250K pre-gain pot and then into the FF circuit, but want things so that I am able to lift the pickup simulator out entirely so that its just input into the 250K pot into FF circuit. Can someone tell me if this is as easy as just using a 3 position on-off-on SPDT and i'm overthinking things again or will I need to stick with a 3 position DPDT? thanks for any help folks :)

FiveseveN

Look at the schematic:

Where does the signal go when the switch is in the "off" position?
And what do you need to switch to bypass the pickup sim?
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

anotherjim

Yes, there is no bypass with the 0n-Off-0n switch.
The only way you could wire it is to bypass the coils - the switch either shorts out none, one or both coil taps. However, this probably won't work with the single-coil as shorting the other half of the winding will reflect into the working one. It won't hurt when both halves are shorted as then there's no signal in the windings.
I'd suggest a 2pole rotary switch for this, but it will be big & clunky compared to a simple on-on toggle to select the coil and an on-off toggle to bypass it.

Bandwagonesque

thanks a bunch for the help and input folks. so with all that's been said so far, i'm assuming this really is the best way to use toggle switches to both bypass the whole transformer pickup simulator circuit annnddd being able to choose between single coil/humbucking settings. Can anyone tell me if this is correct so I can stop losing sleep on this one and work towards using a rotary solution per anotherjim's suggestion?

RickL

Can someone explain to me why using a switch that "shorts out none, one or both coil taps" as mentioned by anotherjim won't work?

Shorting both taps should effectively bypass the coil, shorting neither is the same as having no switch and shorting part of the coil (i.e. the tap) should just be the same as tapping it. The other side of the transformer isn't connected to anything so it should be the same as if it isn't there, no matter what position the switch is in.

I don't understand what you mean by "shorting the other half of the winding will reflect into the working one". Doesn't reflection in a transformer require the secondary to be connected to something?

PRR

Shorting half of a single CT winding is 99% the same as shorting the whole winding. Do not need "a secondary" to have transformer action.
  • SUPPORTER