Vintage Morley Power Wah Boost Troubleshoot

Started by CheapPedalCollector, October 12, 2021, 06:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CheapPedalCollector

I'm repairing a Vintage Morley PWB and it has a very weird compression happening when the Boost is engaged.

I've replaced the electrolytics in the unit as they were all failing, I've tested the transistors, replaced a few way out of spec resistors (4.7M and 2.2M). Checked voltages and I have 48V to the bulb, 28 Volts on the 25 Volts rail, and 65 Volts on the 55 Volts rail. I assume the voltage raise is due to AC power being 122 volts at my place and the units were designed for 117. I have checked the resistors and they are within spec. Is it possible the rectifier diodes are stressed? The light does not dim in any way when this happens so I don't think it's the power supply.

I have adjusted the bias trimmer pots so that it biases up correctly, they were only slightly off. The Wah circuit used to do this too, but now it works correctly. I'm still having this strange compression/pumping/breathing when really smacking chords hard with the boost circuit and I don't think it's supposed to do this. I am not sure what the issue could be at this point, and I never had a power wah in the past so I don't know if this is normal.

Any advice/help is appreciated.