can anyone machine an enclosure like this? EHX style

Started by Dimitree, October 13, 2021, 09:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimitree

hello everyone,
I'm looking for someone or some company that can make an enclosure like those used by EHX for their "large" stompboxes..like this for the Deluxe Memory Man.

I know this kind of enclosure could be made at home, but I don't have the skills and the tools, so I'd like to commission this to someone able to do it. I'm in Italy and I couldn't find anyone locally able to do this.
I just need 1, maybe 2.
I would provide the exact drawings and specs of course.

ps. I don't want to infringe any copyright, I just want those for my self because I really like the shape of those pedals.

Kevin Mitchell

If I remember right, someone had actually shared a flat drawing for these classic enclosures somewhere around the forum. If not, it was just a simple drawing of the shape.

Wait... I have a couple of these lol. If you come up short I can do a flat drawing and send it to ya and you can shop around. Support a local shop! There's likely places near you that are interested in small runs and even one-offs.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

Dimitree

Thanks, but as I said the drawing is not a problem at all, I already did that, I just need someone to actually build it.

I'm now thinking about JLCpcb, since they can do aluminium laser cut. If then can manufacture some V-groove on both sides of the sheet, I may be able to fold the sheet by myself

Jarno

That v-groove is simply a bend, so if you can get the material lasercut, than you can make the bends yourself using a sheetmetal brake, those don't need to be expensive (or find a shop).
Making the bends accurately will take a few tries, so don't expect the first one to be perfect.

PRR

Auto-body (crash) repair shops have benders.

Building heating/cooling duct makers have benders, though more for large thinner sheets.

Non-Stomp boxes can be bent-up with a large vise, hammer, and wood-block. Of course a truly stomp-proof gauge of metal will be tough. To bend and to cut.
  • SUPPORTER

Dimitree

Quote from: Jarno on October 13, 2021, 12:18:44 PM
That v-groove is simply a bend, so if you can get the material lasercut, than you can make the bends yourself using a sheetmetal brake, those don't need to be expensive (or find a shop).
Making the bends accurately will take a few tries, so don't expect the first one to be perfect.

Thanks,
For v-groove I meant those score line used on PCB manufacturing to put multiple designs on the same board and then divide the various pieces

Like this:
https://file.pcbway.com/ordershow/18/04/13/6365922698909584691237.png

If done on one side only, I guess they can be used to bend the sheet easily

Jarno

That's not going to work, the pcb material does not bend like metal does, it'll break.

amz-fx

Quote from: Dimitree on October 13, 2021, 10:08:38 AM
I'm now thinking about JLCpcb, since they can do aluminium laser cut. If then can manufacture some V-groove on both sides of the sheet, I may be able to fold the sheet by myself

If they cannot v-groove, you can do it yourself.

Get a sharp chisel and hammer a score line where you need it to bend. It is slow going and tedious work but it can be done. Here is one that I did that way using heavy diamond-plate aluminum.

I would not like to do it that way for production, but one or two boxes would not be a problem.

Best regards, Jack

Dimitree

Quote from: Jarno on October 13, 2021, 01:42:53 PM
That's not going to work, the pcb material does not bend like metal does, it'll break.

JLCpcb can make aluminium PCB (1.6mm thick) instead of FR4

phasetrans

Quote from: Dimitree on October 13, 2021, 09:03:26 AM
hello everyone,
I'm looking for someone or some company that can make an enclosure like those used by EHX for their "large" stompboxes..like this for the Deluxe Memory Man.

I know this kind of enclosure could be made at home, but I don't have the skills and the tools, so I'd like to commission this to someone able to do it. I'm in Italy and I couldn't find anyone locally able to do this.

ps. I don't want to infringe any copyright, I just want those for my self because I really like the shape of those pedals.

Dimitree,

I'm not sure if they ship internationally, but you can get someone like sendcutsend.com to cut the flat for you, and then have it bent locally. Where are you in Italy? I'm based in the US, but work for an Italian company in Firenze and could ask some of our engineers.

Note that the flat must include the details for the bend radius, and reliefs. You're going to want a CAD tool with dedicated sheet metal features. SolidWorks is most popular for that, but Fusion 360 also has a suite of sheet metal design tools now.

Happy to answer other questions. There are thousands of sheet metal assemblies that I designed operating in industrial sites all over the world.
  • SUPPORTER

hair force one

I made a few boxes but never attempted the baroque EHX design...

amptramp

You may be able to find old router/modem boxes that look like that or even better.  Some of them are assembled in two halves, so that would be easy but in some cases, the board just slides in from the end, so this is not really set up for adding pots through the front.