Convert SS amp distortion circuit into stompbox? Ideas?

Started by DJPsychic, October 13, 2021, 04:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJPsychic

A friend gifted me a bunch of random stuff he had sitting in his basement, including this solid state amp. (I know I took it apart, I can't help myself! I can easily rewire if need to  ;))

It's got some nice goodies in the circuit and thought, maybe I could put the distortion circuit into a stompbox? I also may just build a pedal using the bits, but thought it might be a cool project to transfer the existing circuit into a box.

Any ideas what to do with this beast?

Steben

I think you might fit that in a big slanted / angled boxes Hammond has and keep the knobs and the front side.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

fowl

That's an LM380N, not an LM308N.  Too many pins.

edit:  Should have said "those are" ...blah blah.  Didn't notice at first that there were two of them.

DJPsychic

Quote from: fowl on October 13, 2021, 07:23:45 PM
That's an LM380N, not an LM308N.  Too many pins.

edit:  Should have said "those are" ...blah blah.  Didn't notice at first that there were two of them.

Yeah that was my bad, edited!

Radical CJ

I recently cracked open my old ss amp to take a gander. You may want to work out what power supply the distortion circuit is meant to run on, mine was bipolar +/-15volts, so not the same as a typical stompboxes.

Also, the big question, is the distortion worth boxing!? My amp (a Marshal HDFX 100) definitely not, the whole preamp including overdrive channel sounds just awful. Over time I learnt it was much better to plug pedals straight into the power amp via the fx loop!

However, am planning to liberate the fx board which has weird controls, but makes a fairly useable digital phazer/chorus/flanger/delay and reverb all in one!

Maybe instead of turning the distortion circuit into a pedal, you could design your preamp and insert it into
the amp?

Steben

I kind of agree. Sometimes it is rather worthwhile thinking how to get nice circuits in the amp.
  • SUPPORTER

DJPsychic

For sure. I don't have any use for a SS amp personally, was curious how easy it would be to isolate the distortion/eq sections, didn't consider power. Just thought it would be cool to make a little stomp box using the amp parts. Maybe designing a simple OD using the pots and smaller cap values. Like the Nichicons and the tropical fish. It's also got 2 BC107's, maybe a fuzz?

fowl

It's not a bipolar supply but probably higher than 9V.  Some cool caps, the mustard, tropical fish, a polystyrene.  I wouldn't reuse the electrolytics.

PRR

Quote from: DJPsychic on October 14, 2021, 06:42:18 AM.... isolate the distortion/eq sections...

I don't think it has "sections". Two LM380 can only be a BTL (Bridge) power amp. Distorts when you exceed its power ability. EQ is probably passive in front. And there is probably DC on the outputs, since it drove an ungrounded speaker.

I think this was best left alone, or at most, amputated to a head.
  • SUPPORTER

DJPsychic

Quote from: PRR on October 14, 2021, 02:07:14 PM
Quote from: DJPsychic on October 14, 2021, 06:42:18 AM.... isolate the distortion/eq sections...

I don't think it has "sections". Two LM380 can only be a BTL (Bridge) power amp. Distorts when you exceed its power ability. EQ is probably passive in front. And there is probably DC on the outputs, since it drove an ungrounded speaker.

I think this was best left alone, or at most, amputated to a head.

Still not well read on amp circuits, thank you!

I think I'll make a list of all the components and seeing what kind of pedal can be made.

Steben

I stick to the idea of making a better amp. Thing is, SS amps have most of the work and cash in cabinet, frontplate and speaker. Modding a circuit or sticking a new one in is like a stompbox without the enclosure and 3pdt switch.
  • SUPPORTER